Is the Scarleteen Staff Mad at Me?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
idk anymore
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I have a pretty good sense of humor
Primary language: English
Pronouns: He/Him
Sexual identity: Pan, mostly

Is the Scarleteen Staff Mad at Me?

Unread post by idk anymore »

So I'm new here, usual introduction shpeal , you get the idea. I've getting a feeling that a lot of the members of the Scarleteen Staff are either mad at me, or are annoyed with me. I'm not trying to troll anyone or make anyone mad, I just kinda thought that based on what you say on your front page that you would be supportive of me, and would be okay with me just being me. Which is exactly what I'm doing. I've had legitimate questions left unanswered for reasons I can only assume is because I'm upsetting people. I can try and dial it back, whatever you want, plz don't just ghost me. The last thing I want is to be shunned by yet another internet community, and to be accused, yet again of being a troll.
I hate the word homophobia. It's not a phobia. You're not scared. You're an asshole.

~Morgan Freeman
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Is the Scarleteen Staff Mad at Me?

Unread post by Mo »

Us not answering a particular question isn't an issue of us being mad or unsupportive. As the registration agreement says, and as Heather mentioned in another thread, we may not answer every question immediately or at all; not getting an answer to a question right away isn't a sign that we're angry, and we certainly aren't accusing you of being a troll. I think we're pretty good, too, at letting users know if we take issue with anything they've said or want to ask people to approach a question or interaction differently.
idk anymore
not a newbie

" It comes across as very concern-trolly at best." ~Sam W. Personal Messages forum
I hate the word homophobia. It's not a phobia. You're not scared. You're an asshole.

~Morgan Freeman
idk anymore
not a newbie

On this issue of not answering things, Heather said she wasn't obligated to answer me. Which I was rude enough to push back against. This was over a day ago and I have received no response. Me being me, emediately assumed people were out to get me, because I'm a socially isolated and incompetent waste of space

~Morgan Freeman
bikinksterboy
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my willingness to try essentially anything
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: bisexual

Unread post by bikinksterboy »

concern trolling is a tactic where someone on one side of a discussion pretends to be on the other side "just with some concerns." You (the general hypothetical you, not you specifically) present yourself as an ally or potential ally just with some reservations or questions that need to be answered, to poke holes in genuine discussion or understanding and sow doubt rather than asking in good faith
idk anymore
not a newbie

Ik what a concern-troll is. I had to look it up, but I know what it is. Not, to be rude, but, your not really supposed to respond to things people say in the ask us section. Those are meant to be conversations specifically between the person who asked, and the staff. I think.

~Morgan Freeman
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Hey there, idk anymore.

I just wanted to pop in here and let you know a couple of things.

I'm not able to work the boards every day. That day I didn't come back later or the day after I didn't because I had finished with the boards that day and then the next was working in other areas of Scarleteen besides our direct services. I was off over the weekend, rare for me, and very much needed. My apologies that you felt ghosted. I try and let users I'm in the middle of something big and ongoing with know when I'm leaving for the day and certainly for a few days, but I didn't think that was the situation we were in.

I think, moving forward, this might be the kind of thing where you might find it feels better to voice this kind of concern via email or PM (like I'd mentioned when you asked about them, you can't use them to engage with other users, but you can use them to engage with staff) rather than this publicly. I think it's a lot easier to have conversations like this where you' seem to be feeling so vulnerable more privately. It's why in our user guidelines we suggest doing so through email.

If you still have these concerns at this point, I'm going to ask that you go ahead and do that, okay? Our general email can be accessed here: http://www.scarleteen.com/contact
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
idk anymore
not a newbie

Okay

~Morgan Freeman
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic