BC Pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
omnomnonny
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: i work hard
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight

BC Pill

Unread post by omnomnonny »

I’ve just been wondering about what constitutes a late or missed pill? I’m taking a combi pill and some articles say that as long as I take it on the same day I’m protected whereas others say I should take it within the same 3 hour period. There was one time that I took it 3 hours later than usual, did it decrease its effectiveness at that point or was it fine?

I’m just a little confused :/
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: BC Pill

Unread post by Mo »

With a combination pill, you have twelve hours after your regular time before a pill is considered "late." For someone taking a minipill (progestin-only pill), that window narrows down to three hours, but since you're on the combination pill, taking it three hours late wouldn't impact the effectiveness at all.
If you ever want to double-check this to make sure, the information packet that comes with your pills (and can probably be looked up online as well if you search for the pill name + patient information) should have this information in it.
omnomnonny
not a newbie

Thank you so much for clearing it up! Does this also apply even at the start of a new pack? (after you have the week of placebo pills?)
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Well, with the first pill of a pack, what matters is that you start it on the day you are supposed to, and no later than seven days since your last active pill. Does that clear that up?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
omnomnonny
not a newbie

yes thank you so much!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic