A calssmate masturbates in class. I don't know what to do

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Sky H
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm good at a lot of things
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her, they/them
Sexual identity: I don't like to label it, I just do what feels rig

A calssmate masturbates in class. I don't know what to do

Unread post by Sky H »

So in one of my courses the person sitting next to me masturbates in class. I am kinda uncomfortable with that, although it's really not that bad. I don't know what to do. I don't want to report him because he will get into a lot of trouble and he will just be punished and nothing will change. I can't ask to be seated elsewhere because of the corona rules. What should I do?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: A calssmate masturbates in class. I don't know what to do

Unread post by Heather »

It’s really not okay to masturbate in public. It’s not consensual for everyone else, and doesn’t allow for healthy boundaries. It *is* that bad. Depending on how he’s doing it - like if he’s making eye contact with anyone intentionally - it could also be outright harassment. A classroom should be emotionally safe for everyone in it. Someone engaging in sex in it during class makes it unsafe for everyone else.

If you don’t trust that the teacher will handle it with sensitivity (are you sure?), then your other option is for you to say something. A simple, quiet and gentle, “Please don’t do that in class,” the next time it happens should suffice as a start.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic