Period Underwear

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
potatochipeater
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: listening
Primary language: english
Pronouns: him/he
Sexual identity: n/a

Period Underwear

Unread post by potatochipeater »

I have seen period undwear advertised on TV a lot lately. I don't know a heck of a lot about the product except that it somehow traps blood and doesn't leak. I was curious about the material its made from and how it does the job it's designed to do. Is the product all it seems to be? How reliable is it? I'm sure there are others here who would like to know more. Although male I do have a partner and feel it's important to know about menstruation and products designed to make it easier.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Period Underwear

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi potatochipeater,

Period underwear works on a similar principle to pads; the crotch of them is extra absorbent so it traps and holds period flow. The undies themselves are made from normal fabric, like cotton, which is part of the appeal for some people because it means you can just wash them with the rest of your laundry.

As for reliability, there about as reliable as pads or tampons are, because they're designed to hold a certain amount of flow. Some people find they can make it through their period using just the underwear, while others prefer to use them as back-up along with tampons or a menstrual cup.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic