Depo Provera shot

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
popupshop
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her

Depo Provera shot

Unread post by popupshop »

Hello;

I just got the depo shot a little under a month ago. I started spotting right now and I have been noticing that my hair is falling out. I am devastated. Does anyone on your team have any experience with spotting or hair loss and what I can expect in terms of how long the effects of losing my hair will last? Thank you
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Depo Provera shot

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Popupshop,

Hair loss is a side effect that happens in a small percentage of people using Deop-Provera, so I'm sorry you're dealing with it and that it's causing you distress. We can't say for certain how long that side effect will last, though people who experience hair loss on Depo find the hair loss stops if they stop using the method. Are you thinking this is a severe enough side effect that you'd like to switch methods? And have you spoken to a healthcare provider about this issue?
popupshop
not a newbie

Yes, I have talked to my doctor, but they do not believe me. They said it was such a rare side effect that they don't think I'm really experiencing it, which has been so disappointing that I have not received help. I will not be getting my next shot when the 3 months are up.
Thank you for giving me the information about the fact that my hair will come back once I stop doing the shot! It has made me feel so much better, I can relax a bit now.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

I'm so sorry you had that experience with your doctor, that's really frustrating! Since you're not planning on continuing the pill, would you like to talk about alternate birth control methods? And since I'd highly recommend you find a new healthcare provider, if you need help with that process that's also something we can do.
popupshop
not a newbie

I got the shot because my birth control is supposed to be a secret. I cannot risk someone finding any pills, and three months without having to take anything seemed very convenient. I don't know if maybe I'm just not educated enough, as sex is seen as a taboo in my community because I'm not married and even then I don't know. I only know rumors or what I read online. I am kind of turned off to the idea of any birth control at this moment because I am terrified of side effects.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

We have some information on all the forms of birth control that might be available to you here; it might help to take a look at those options and see if any look good to you: Birth Control Bingo! Given your desire to have your method be private, you may find an IUD or an implant to be worth looking at.
A tricky thing about birth control methods is that you can't necessarily predict if you'll experience a side effect before trying a particular method, and that can make it stressful to try out new ones. If you have questions about any of those options, or there are any other things you want to ask about that might help you make a further decision, we'd be happy to discuss them with you.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

Also, I don't know if you're already using condoms, but they're a very effective form of birth control, especially when used correctly, and side effects are rare, so you may want to focus on condom use for now while you're figuring out if there is another method you might like to use.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic