Ovulation?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Digdawg
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I love my pets!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Ovulation?

Unread post by Digdawg »

Hi Scarleteen!

I’m currently on the combined pill, I take it roughly around the same time every morning with the rest of my meds (give or take an hour or so, it really depends on how I sleep, but it’s every day). I have been on the pill for about a year and a half, and have always taken it correctly and perfectly.

Occasionally, and by that I mean very rarely, I will have a slight pain in my abdomen roughly where my ovaries would be. Before I got on the pill, I would sometimes get Mittelschmerz around when I should ovulate. However, the pain I currently experience doesn’t happen when I would ovulate on a normal, not pill-induced 28 day cycle. It’s also much, much more dull than my Mittelschmerz, that would always be somewhat sharp.

I’ve noticed this only seems to happen when I sit weirdly. I’ll admit, I have a slouch, and I tend to curl up laying down. I also have tummy fat, so could it just be the fat bunching up?
Digdawg
not a newbie

Re: Ovulation?

Unread post by Digdawg »

I happened to just read somewhere that sometimes hormonal birth control can cause ovarian cysts. Could this be the culprit?
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Unread post by Siân »

Hi Digdawg,

Whilst the progesterone only minipill may increase the chances of benign ovarian cysts, the combined pill actually reduces the likelihood. It is still possible that the pain you are describing comes from a cyst, though many things can cause abdominal pain.

Ovarian cysts often disappear by themselves after a cycle or two and the majority of them are not a major cause for concern. Unfortunately though we can't diagnose you over the internet! If you're experiencing pain it's always worth checking in with your healthcare provider to double check there are no issues. Is that something you can do?
Digdawg
not a newbie

Unread post by Digdawg »

Yes, I’ve been meaning to see my doctor anyway for a different prescription (need some anxiety pills for whenever I get my wisdom teeth out). She might be able to help.
Digdawg
not a newbie

Unread post by Digdawg »

I worry that I might be because I am sexually active, especially that it might have happened in the past. I always use condoms and have him pull out though, and just had a period.

I realized that I didn’t mention that I’m not experiencing anything that would be associated with normal ovulation in me. My libido is not very high, the pain lasted for 20 minutes tops, as opposed to my normal several hour ache, and my discharge doesn’t seem the best for sperm movement.

I wonder if I really am putting too much thought into something that might just be something in my intestines, muscles, or fat. Anxiety has always had a physical aspect for me. I remember in 2018, I suddenly had a weird pain in my sternum, but not like that of something wrong with my heart. I thought I pulled a muscle or something was wrong with my breast. It was only until I read somewhere that anxiety can cause pain in parts of the body that have no reason to cause pain that it went away. I wonder if an anxiety towards pregnancy and whether or not I’m taking my pills correctly has caused phantom Mittelshmerz for me. Perhaps that’s something I think about.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

It might also help to know that even some of the things you're assuming to be associated with ovulation aren't sound markers of it. Desire for sex can and often does happen at any point of the cycle for people (and since you're using a method that suppresses ovulation by design, so don;'t have a fertility cycle, that is certainly going to be the case for you), for example.

You're not going to ovulate if you're using the combined pill as directed: that's just a fair thing to say because that's how it works and why it is so effective with perfect use. So, you absolutely should assume that these feelings you're having are not about ovulation. It certainly is possible they are about anxiety, and also much more likely: and yep, worries about pregnancy absolutely can manifest in people literally convincing their bodies they are, and with bodies sometimes acting accordingly by mimicking symptoms.

What do you think you need to put this to bed?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Digdawg
not a newbie

Unread post by Digdawg »

I’m sorry it’s been a few days, they’ve been pretty eventful for me.
I think just knowing that my symptoms could be that of anxiety may help. My boyfriend and I are taking a break from sex due to an unrelated reason. I think that may help.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

That sounds good.

And it's always okay to take whatever time you want. No deadlines for users here: our services are about what works for you. Y'all don't owe us responses, period, nor in a given time period. <3
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic