To Trash or Not to Trash?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Digdawg
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I love my pets!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

To Trash or Not to Trash?

Unread post by Digdawg »

Hey Scarleteen! I just have a quick question! So, my boyfriend and I went out to a zoo for our anniversary, and planned on having sex later. He mentioned that he had only one condom left, so I brought my stash in its box in case we needed it. We only ended up using his, it didn’t break or slip off so we just didn’t need it. While we were at this zoo, I had left my stash in my bag and left that in his car. They were there for about 2 hours and at 75 degrees max. I remembered that condoms can degrade over time if left in a hot car, so I was wondering if should trash the condoms I have, and just get new ones, or are mine probably still good to use?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: To Trash or Not to Trash?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Digdawg,

Given that it was a fairly short amount of time and not an extreme temperature, the condoms are probably still fine to use. However, if you'd feel more comfortable pitching them and getting new ones, that's something you can do as well.
Digdawg
not a newbie

Unread post by Digdawg »

I think I’ll still pitch them just to be safe. My boyfriend and I typically use Trojan, but do you have any recommendations for other brands we could try? Not so much for protection, but as additional pleasure during sex?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

What brand condoms are don't tend to be what make the difference here. Most brands have an array of styles now, Trojan included.

What = more pleasure with condoms isn't the same thing for everyone, so it can depend on what you want. But one thing many people want the most of is sensation, and condom choices can play a part in that. Thinner condoms are the way to go for that, and not only are just as safe as thicker, they're actually sometimes more resilient. Bonus! So, if that's something you both want, you'll want to look for the thinnest (like "ultra" or "super") styles. Pro-tip: a tiny bit of lube on the inside before putting a condom on and plenty of lube on the outside also increases sensation for both parties.

Something else that people often want more of is for it to feel like it's not on as much as possible. Polyurethane (non-latex, but not lambskin) styles can offer that for a couple reasons: they conduct body heat better and they just feel a little more velvety like skin than latex ones do.

Did you or your boyfriend have other specifics?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Digdawg
not a newbie

Unread post by Digdawg »

My boyfriend and I don’t have any other specifics. I may end up getting a variety pack so we can explore a little!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I think that's always ideal if you can: finding which we like best often means trying a bunch. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic