bleeding after sex

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
luvbug02
Awesomeness Quotient: i can juggle
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her

bleeding after sex

Unread post by luvbug02 »

Hey, so my boyfriend and I had sex 5 days ago, and immediately afterwards, I started bleeding. We were protected (he wore a condom and I take the pill) so I'm not worried about pregnancy. It's been 5 days now and I'm still experiencing bleeding that's similar to my period when I'm on the sugar pills. I've lost some uterine lining and been bleeding. I did start taking the pill Lo Loestrin FE and I'm on pill 11, but I finished my period less than 2 weeks ago and like I said, I'm on pill 11 of the new pill pack which is also new to me. I was wondering if the new pill could be messing with me? The bleeding will calm down for like a few hours to the point where I think it's stopped, but then I bleed heavily again. I read that Lo Lo can cause some takers to bleed after sex because it sometimes lessens the uterine lining, but I didn't think it would happen so soon into me fresh on it.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: bleeding after sex

Unread post by Mo »

Sometimes bleeding does happen after sex, but it's unusual for it to continue for several days at period-level heaviness. If you hadn't just started taking the pill, I'd suggest you check in with a healthcare provider if possible, but because you did just start, it's very possible that the bleeding you noticed immediately after sex has stopped and what you're noticing now is caused by the pill. Some spotting or bleeding can happen when you first start taking the birth control pill, especially in the first few months.
We can't say for sure what you're experiencing, of course, but I think the best thing you can do right now is keep an eye on it. If you start bleeding more heavily or notice other pain or symptoms that feel out of the ordinary, that's when I'd check in with your doctor. Honestly, now a lot of clinics are leaning more on brief phone appointments than they used to, so you might be able to have a quick chat with a nurse about the issue without too much fuss, depending on the particular clinic or practice you go to.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic