Does a withdrawal bleed on the pill during inactive week mean you are not pregnant?!!

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
jan333
Awesomeness Quotient: I am nice to people
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she her
Sexual identity: likes guys

Does a withdrawal bleed on the pill during inactive week mean you are not pregnant?!!

Unread post by jan333 »

Hello, I am on combination birth control pills and I have been taking them for two years now. I tend to have anxiety over getting pregnant on the pill even when I am taking it on time every night. This has gotten much better and my anxiety has lessened. However, there is one thing that always freaks me out... I see posts on google saying having your withdrawal bleed (on the week of inactive pills) is not a good indication of not being pregnant. There are always mixed answers related to this and I felt like asking here was the best way to find out. So, if I get my withdrawal bleed w/ cramps the first few days, and I fill a full tampon. And usually, my period will last through Sunday, is this an indication that you are not pregnant? Thank you for your help.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Does a withdrawal bleed on the pill during inactive week mean you are not pregnant?!!

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi jan333,

Yes, if someone gets their withdrawal bleed, then that's an indicator they're not pregnant. If you notice you're having trouble parsing what information is accurate and what isn't, this article is really helpful: Legit or Unfit? Finding Safe, Sound Sex Educators & Support Online.

Can I ask what you're doing to manage your anxiety around getting pregnant? For instance, are you holding off on certain sexual activities that pose a risk of pregnancy? Seeing a counselor to talk about your anxiety? Something else?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic