Withdrawal bleed question

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
TownHall
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My kindness
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Withdrawal bleed question

Unread post by TownHall »

Hello Scarleteen, the other day I was on Tik tok and some girl had made a tik tok basically talking about how she’s on the pill and get her period and she still thinks she’s pregnant. As I was scrolling through the comment section I got a bit uneasy. Many girls were saying “if you’re on the pill you don’t get a real period so you can still get your withdrawal bleed and be pregnant” to which I first thought was that doesn’t make sense because you’re still bleeding something out, like you’re still obviously bleeding some uterus lining. My second thought then was why would your body even bleed if you’re pregnant if it’s trying to conserve the pregnancy. It didn’t make sense but is having your withdrawal bleed a good indication you didn’t get pregnant or would you still bleed because it’s not a real pregnancy?
It made my anxiety go up a bit even though it’s been months since I’ve had sex and it made me question my own withdrawal bleeds. Thank you!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Withdrawal bleed question

Unread post by Heather »

It's probably obvious to you that random folks on TikTok aren't a good or reliable source of sex ed. Of course, that doesn't mean your anxiety understands that. :)

Just like when not on the pill, people who become pregnant while on the pill will not get their withdrawal bleeds. You have this all right: that uterine lining is what an embryo implants in ,and it's needed to sustain a pregnancy.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
TownHall
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My kindness
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Unread post by TownHall »

Hey Heather, yeah I figured they weren’t super reliable but the part of me that believes in signs from the universe makes me think “oh this is a sign” and I start to experience anxiety (which I am in therapy for)
Thank you! I mean it made sense that you wouldn’t bleed if you were pregnancy regardless of birth control or not but I was kind of getting convinced that they were on to something.

Also while I’m here I have one quick question that I’d like to just ask and get out of your hair, my doctor gave me a Blood pregnancy test a couple weeks ago and the last time that I had had sex was like in June so the blood test was 6 weeks after that time. Since it was 6 weeks and negative is that enough time to get an accurate result?
She gave it to me cause I was trying to tell her about different stories I heard and she wanted to help reassure me that I wasn’t. She is really kind and my favorite doctor! Thank you!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

It absolutely was enough time. She would have told you if it wasn't. I'm glad you are able to have a healthcare provider to work with and ask questions of! That's great!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic