Inserting tampon after shower

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
MuchShy
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I am kind
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her

Inserting tampon after shower

Unread post by MuchShy »

Hello! I recently started using tampons. I couldn't find the answer for my question anywhere online so I thought I'd come here. In the morning when I have my period I like to have a shower to clean myself. After the shower though, when I try to insert a tampon my vagina is quite dry (because I have cleaned myself. I only use water to do that) and it is hard to insert and it hurts a little bit. Is this normal and what can I do?
Thank you for you help!
Alexa
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: i make the world's best pancakes!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her/ella
Sexual identity: queer, pansexual

Re: Inserting tampon after shower

Unread post by Alexa »

Hi there, MuchShy!

It makes sense that if you wash away your menstrual blood, it will be harder to insert a tampon (the menstrual blood usually acts as lubricant for the tampon for a painless insertion).

I would recommend one of two things: either use a little bit of lube to insert the tampon after your shower, or insert your tampon prior to the shower and just rinse your outer labia with water. If you do this, you will want to avoid getting the tampon string wet to insure you don't have any discomfort later on.

Let us know what you think/if you continue to have discomfort!
Alexa K.
Scarleteen Team
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic