Birth Control + Heat + Roadtrip

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
asmith965
Pronouns: she/her

Birth Control + Heat + Roadtrip

Unread post by asmith965 »

Hello,

I was recently on a roadtrip from Ohio to Kentucky with temperatures in the mid 80s-90s. I have a couple questions:

1.) I left for my roadtrip at 6pm from Ohio on a day where it was in the low 80s and pretty sunny. I had my birth control pills in their envelope in my cup holder with the air conditioning on in the car. I then moved them to my CD console. They were probably only in the cupholder for 2-3 hours. Would they have been effected by any sunlight that got into the cup holder?

2.) Throughout the road trip, there were stops along the way where we did not have a hotel room yet. Rather than leaving my pills in the car, I took with them in my wallet. At any given time, I was probably only in the 90 degree weather for about 20mins before entering another air conditioned area. Would this have effected the pills?

The pill pack did not look any different than usual and was always cool/room temp to the touch.

Thanks!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Birth Control + Heat + Roadtrip

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi asmith965,

We can't guarantee that the pills haven't been damaged, but the appearance of birth control pill packs does tend to noticeably change if there's heat damage. So if the blister pack looks the same as usual, then odds are good that the pills have not been damaged and are still at their normal level of effectiveness.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic