First Time Fears

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Digdawg
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I love my pets!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

First Time Fears

Unread post by Digdawg »

Hi Scarleteen! I have something to ask. Today my boyfriend and I had vaginal sex for the first time in both of our lives. He used a condom correctly, pulled out, and I have been on birth control for the past year due to medical reasons and have used it consistently, only missing 3 pills the whole year I’ve been on the pill. I have some worries that I may get pregnant, despite understanding that my risk should be less than 1%. I’d like to have a second opinion, this was such a big milestone for me and I’m still not sure how to process it all. Thanks!
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: First Time Fears

Unread post by al »

Hi there Digdawg,

Since you've taken your oral contraceptive consistently, and it seems like the condom was used correctly, your relative risk is indeed pretty low. You can compare the effectiveness rate with other BC combos over at The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control.

So if you know that you're using contraception correctly, and you know that the chances of them failing is very low, what do you think is making you feel worried about being pregnant?
How are you feeling about the experience itself? Do you feel like your boundaries and wants and needs were respected and taken care of?
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
Digdawg
not a newbie

Unread post by Digdawg »

I have an anxiety disorder, and having decided that I don’t want kids, my anxiety has extended into that area of life for me. I have been to a therapist for this and use exercises to calm myself down and, in regards to anything involving my uterus, survive long enough for me to get my period.
The experience itself was fine. I had previously read articles on Scarleteen as well as other sites like Planned Parenthood in order to be prepared and be able to protect myself. I can confidently say that my needs were respected, my boyfriend regularly asked if I was okay and if we needed to stop, and let me lead when I felt I needed to.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi digdawg,

It sounds like you did a lot of preparation beforehand, which is a really awesome way to approach your first sexual experiences!

It's crummy that you're having to find out first hand that, for those of us with anxiety disorders, sex ends up being yet another place where anxiety can get a grip on us. You're already doing one of the main things we recommend, which is using techniques you've learned with your therapist to manage these fears. Too,if you're still seeing them, have you spoken to your therapist about these specific fears around pregnancy? If not, is that something you'd feel comfortable doing?
Digdawg
not a newbie

Unread post by Digdawg »

Unfortunately, I’m not really in a position with I can see my therapist, Covid-19 aside. I ended up speaking with my mom about it, as she’s seen firsthand how my anxiety affects me and was able to give me some judgement free advice (“Well you used three methods of protection, you’re pretty much set”, etc.). I have a very good relationship with her where I can freely ask for advice, which I’m thankful for.
Amanda F
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to go rock climbing outside!
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Amanda F »

I'm so glad that you have a good, judgment-free relationship with your mom. That's great!

Do you have other methods of dealing with your anxiety when it comes up?
Digdawg
not a newbie

Unread post by Digdawg »

I’m very lucky to have a mom like her, especially given the area I live in.

I’ve actually been playing a lot of Spider Solitaire on my phone, and I have sensory toys that I can fiddle around with.
Amanda F
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to go rock climbing outside!
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Amanda F »

Nice - games are such a good distraction. I love Spider Solitaire!

We're here if you have other questions or would like to discuss other ways of managing that anxiety. :)
Digdawg
not a newbie

Unread post by Digdawg »

An update!

It’s been almost three weeks, and I’ve since gotten my (birth control induced) period. Things were normal, and I think I feel a lot better about the experience!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Digdawg,

Thanks for the update, and glad to hear things are going better!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic