Being a virgin in college

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
apronepisces
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I will never give up on a relationship
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: bi-sexual but mostly straight

Being a virgin in college

Unread post by apronepisces »

I’m going to college early August and have had some experience but nothing more than intense make out. The fact that atm I’ll be going to college as a virgin is something that won’t stop creeping into the back of my mind at ALL times. I’m nervous that once I get to college I’ll never go there because I haven’t yet. I’m mostly just wondering if it matters? Because part of me feels like I should try and get it over with before I go to college but I don’t want to completely disregard the seriousness of losing my virginity. (I’m not like saving myself or anything, I just think there is some sense of minor severity in the act for the first time)
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Being a virgin in college

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi apronepisces,

I'd advise against having sex just to get it over with. Both because the act holds some seriousness for you, and because that's a mindset that tends to lead to some very uninteresting or downright unpleasant sex.

And, lots of people go off to college with little or no sexual experience, so trust me when I say you'll be in good company. In fact, enough people are still learning to navigate sex and relationships when they hit college that we wrote a guide about it: Higher Learning: Navigating Sex & Relationships in College.

I get that fear that because you've never had sex, you've sort of missed the window for it. But when you think about
it, you've only had a few years where being sexually active would even have been a viable choice . You have way, way, way more years ahead of you, years where you can meet partners who you connect with and are excited to be sexual with.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic