Extremely bad sore throat. Need I say more?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Everglow
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I dont know
Primary language: english
Pronouns: her
Sexual identity: straight

Extremely bad sore throat. Need I say more?

Unread post by Everglow »

Hey everybody! Long time no see :D
I'll get straight to the "point" on this. The last couple weeks my boyfriend and I have had some more private time than normal and I have been trying to go really deep on giving him a blowjob. It's both enjoyable and fun for both of us so it's not like he's forcing me to do anything.
Yesterday I went really deep but he kind of held my head while doing it and it just went a little too much for me. I told him I didn't like that and he apologized. But today everything about my throat has been really sore, doing my best on not talking so much and my mom thinks I just have some little cold and she even said that hopefully I don't have the covid-19 virus, LOL!
I have been drinking a lot of hot coffee and hot tea and I think I'll be okay by tomorrow but is there anything else I can do about this? Am I damaging my throat by giving him a blowjob? We have watched many videos online on giving BJ's so what is the trick on not being so sore afterwards?
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Extremely bad sore throat. Need I say more?

Unread post by al »

Hi there Everglow,

I think you're doing all the right things in terms of drinking liquids and hot beverages - sometimes cough drops or sore throat lozenges can help too. I think time and rest will be the most helpful. I hope it feels better soon. :/

I'm glad that you were able to recognize that it was too much, and communicated about it with your boyfriend. How did it feel to hear his apology? Did you two talk about next steps, or what you might do in the future to prevent you from getting hurt?
What about the part where your boyfriend held your head in place - was that something that you had talked about doing beforehand, or something that he did in that moment? If it's the latter, I'm wondering how that felt, and whether you talked to him about that specifically afterwards.

In general, there isn't really a "trick" to preventing a sore throat after oral sex, other than not going as fast/hard/deep so as not to damage your throat. People will often offer up tricks like using numbing spray or sucking on ice or a cough drop to dull the nerves in the back of their mouth/throat, but those are a really bad idea. Those and any other lotions, sprays, and lubes that dull sensitivity are preventing your nerves from doing exactly what they're supposed to: 1) feel things and 2) let you know what feels good and what doesn't!
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
Everglow
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I dont know
Pronouns: her
Sexual identity: straight

Unread post by Everglow »

I was using a bottle of chloraseptic throat spray before and during and after we did this, but after reading what you said I guess I was doing more harm than good? I wasn't having any throat problems before and I thought I had a nice way of doing things but I guess not.
For my boyfriend holding my head we talked about doing this but this was the first time it happened, I already told him that we can't do that again, at least not now anyway. It was something that looked fun to try but I didn't like not having control.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Everglow,

Yep, those throat sprays are something we suggest people avoid. Just because you can't feel discomfort doesn't mean your body isn't getting hurt, and you get an unpleasant surprise when it wears off.

I'm glad you two are able to communicate about sex, and that you can say things like "this looked fun, but it turns out I didn't like it."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic