Share Your Pregnancy Scare Experiences & Advice

When you want support through something scary or rough, and help pulling yourself together and getting through, this is the place.
Forum rules
We ask that users looking for general, ongoing emotional support post in this area of the boards, and that you use this space to both ask for, give and receive that support primarily from each other, rather than from our staff and volunteers. As a staff, we simply are often too overextended with all we need to do in running the organization and its services to do that for extended periods of time, and one of our main aims of our community at the boards has always been to facilitate peers to better be there for each other.

Users often report that they have no in-person peers they can talk to or seek support from: we want this to be a space for online peer support and somewhere everyone can get some practice asking for, getting and giving support so that doing it with people in your lives feels more doable.

Please remember that neither staff, volunteers nor your fellow users can provide or replace mental healthcare when that is something you need. Users struggling with issues like anxiety, depression, abuse or physical health issues are strongly encouraged to seek out qualified, in-person help with those issues in addition to peer or staff support.
xoxo127
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to make people smille! :)
Primary language: English

Share Your Pregnancy Scare Experiences & Advice

Unread post by xoxo127 »

There are so many of us who are going through pregnancy scares, or have gone through a pregnancy scare before, that we tend to abuse the "Ask Us" section of the boards flooding the volunteers here with 100 questions regarding if we are pregnant or not.

I feel it would be really helpful if the users here shared their individuals experiences with each other. Right now, I'm freaking out because my boyfriend and I were dry humping. I was wearing leggings, but did not have underwear underneath them. My boyfriend had sweatpants, but his precum fluid soaked through his thin boxers and formed a wet spot on the outside of his sweatpants. I can't help but think since all I had on were leggings, that the small wet spot soaked through my pants and got me pregnant. Since my leggings were thin, the dry humping felt real, so of course that adds on to the fear because of how close his penis was to me. No matter how many times I'm told sperm can't soak through, I can't help but think I'm going to be pregnant.

I think it's comforting to read other's experiences regarding pregnancy scares, and to see how their pregnancy scared turned out. I've panicked over being fingered with possible precum on my boyfriend's fingers, and I could have sworn on my life that I was going to be pregnant - yet I turned out to be not pregnant!

I'm highly scared of becoming pregnant. Pregnancy is something I'm truly scared about, but at the same time I really want to enjoy sexual acts with my partner. It seems now that I can't even engage in the things that don't have risks for pregnancy, because I keep feeling like I'm going to be the one that becomes pregnant from them, or I don't remember something we did and the semen got in & I didn't see.

If anyone is comfortable sharing their experiences, fears about pregnancy, or is constantly finding themselves freaking out/having bad anxiety over pregnancy scares and needs to get some advice from other user's experiences - please feel free to share them!

Sometimes it's good to hear about someone's experience through a pregnancy scare & how they turned out.
Peonies
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I can raise plants from the dead
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: cis female

Re: Share Your Pregnancy Scare Experiences & Advice

Unread post by Peonies »

In my time of being sexually active, I have had my share of pregnancy scares. I do want to have kids, but I'm not at the point of my life yet where it is a real option for me.

As someone who has suffered from anxiety a lot in their life, I can understand where you or other users here are coming from. For my general anxiety, getting professional help is what it took to help me get a hold on it. I do "relapse" every now and then for sure, but at least now I feel comfortable seeking help if I need it where as before, I was too afraid.

As for pregnancy concerns, I can think of about 4 instances where I had a pretty big scare. For me, it helped to review the facts about how pregnancy can and cannot happen via this website. Looking at articles or information on the message boards and reminding myself that the facts are what are real, are what helped me through the anxiety (and of course getting my period or negative test result!). Guess what? Of those 4 scares, 0 resulted in pregnancy. What happens is that you think you start to notice "symptoms" and before you know it more and more "symptoms" pop up every day. More often than not, the symptoms I were having were related to PMS. When you're afraid of something, small things tend to snowball.

One thing that I think helps with persistent pregnancy concerns is keeping a little journal about your cycle in a small calendar. Write down things like when your period starts and ends, or what PMS symptoms you experience that day. That way, if a scare comes up and you find yourself freaking out about having breast tenderness a week before your period, you can look back at previous cycles and say "yep I had the same thing the last 4 months!".

Lastly, the self care article on the main page here is a great tool for learning to take a deep breath. In fact, I keep that article book marked on my computer at all times!
Formerly CraftyKid
Berry124
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Personality
Pronouns: she/her, they/them
Sexual identity: 'straight', heterosexual

Unread post by Berry124 »

I can relate to pregnancy scares, I used to panicked about everything making it hard for me because i enjoyed what i was doing and sharing the experience with my partner, yet i would worry after and that would make it hard as I felt i really enjoyed things. This would then lead to me telling my partner about my worry, making me seen clingy despite him not saying that. But, as I found out on this great site, there's no need to worry.

Anxiety has been an issue throughout my life, it's affected me when I've been upset or under the weather and plays with my head, however as time went by I've become alot calmer about worries through what you could call self care. If I have had a bad day or was upset, reading a book would help to calm me and even help with sleep which can be largely affected when I'm worried. Watching a movie has also helped me to calm down and it's the small self care things that seem to help for me now. Before this, I used to rush to Scarleteen to the mcan i get pregnant or catch an sti" article to reassure myself, but as time went on I've managed to now calm.myself without fleeing to the Internet to help or my partner because I was worried. And similarly to what was said by Craftykid, getting to know how your body functions and not panacking about " symptoms" that are actually just paranoia helps you to understand your body, as well as gain confidence with knowing how your body functions.

Now, I am so much better with scares. I know all the facts thanks to the extremely kind people at Scarleteen and I hardly ever worry anymore making me adlot happier and allowing me to enjoy things. If. Iworry about scares it doesnt even last for more than a minute. Also a part of this that i believe is helpful when dealing with scares is trust and communication which can help alot ( i know for me it has) when dealing with scares and even general worries aswell.

Its nice to know that there are other people out there who have also had pregnancy scares and to hear about how they have progressed with dealing with worries :) xoxo127 I can fully relate to your concern, I had a similar worry about dry humping fully dressed and becoming pregent , yet i didnt become pregnant, I had a panic about my partner having two layers.on and me.nothing, again still got my period. And lastly what I would say was probably one of the most scariest times in my life that largely affected me when I worried about dry humping with my partner wearing his pj bottoms which is just one layer and that was three.months ago, and I have had three periods since then, so I can totally understand your worry and you are not alone because I have been there and it gets better it really does :) . Hope this helps to anyone visiting here <3
niknik
not a newbie
Primary language: English/Tagalog

Unread post by niknik »

Hi berry124.. Thanks for posting about your pregnancy scare story.. Well, my anxiety got a little bit low by now because of what have you said here.
I also posted here all about dry humping pregnancy scare.. all of them said no.. They also give me article as a proof.. So thanks to them.. Im confident now..and that is my pregnancy scare experience.. FOR NOW.
Berry124
not a newbie

Hi niknik, that's fine I've been experiencing these scares for eight months and wanted to share my experience and help others so I'm glad I helped :)

I also want to add what i didnt put into my previous post about dry humping: back when I was concerned about dry humping I was at the doctors due to issues NOT related to.my scares and I just asked the Dr about dry humping, I said " This may sound an odd question but can you become pregnant when dry humping so with clothing on covering your areas properly" and the Dr who I trust for many of my health problems that require understanding of how they make.me.feel and general good doctoring ( if that's even a word ha) said " NO you won't become pregnant from dry humping, dry humping is not a way to become pregnant". Topping that off, I also asked another Dr who is very popular at my doctors practice because he is thorough and listens well to you, not shrugging off your worry like some doctors have done to me in the past and he too said the same as the other doctor " No you won't become pregnant with that".

To top that off even more on what the second Dr said, the second Dr qualified as a Dr not long ago and so he would be up to date with medical training and plus doctors have to be updated on things relevant to the practise of their job. After asking these two doctors who deal with many patients and one of them many teenagers, this supports what i know about dry humping and what Scarleteen say :) I hope this helps alongside my previous post and helps others visiting this page who have experienced similar worries as I have about pregnancy scares :) <3
niknik
not a newbie
Primary language: English/Tagalog

Unread post by niknik »

ok, Thank you for this information.. So it means you are a living proof that dry humping /clothes will not have cause of pregnancy right? :) even if I ask that "what if their vaginal fluids would help sperm aid from precum in cloth, what if precum can soak in a wet cloth, etc etc.. So I guess I would not gonna ask anymore question about it and just be confident that dry humping (w/underwear rubbing genitals each other) would not gonna cause a pregnancy..
Berry124
not a newbie

Glad to have helped with my experience niknik :-) well there are many others who have worried about dry humping with clothing on, and there's even a single article/post about pants and pregnancy the " you cannot become pregnant with pants" one ( i think that's the correct name of it) which just puts out thee the facts. I started worrying about dry humping back last year in September, that's 9 months ago now counting on maybe ten so a while back and time helps when overcoming fears or worries. I am.guessing you have read articles explaining why sperm cannot pass through clothing and so on, they really help I think. Hope all.turns out fine for you with your worry and to anyone else with worries like these as well :-)
Sunshine
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I have a quote for every situation
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: Bi

Unread post by Sunshine »

It's so reassuring somehow to find out that other people out there get pregnancy scares too... I went through a phase where I had this unfounded fear of being pregnant almost all the time, because my cycle was messed up and it could take very long between periods. My gynecologist explained why, I understood, my partner and I use contraception, it was all fine on a rational level, but still, I'd be scared nearly always if I wasn't bleeding at the moment.

Two things helped me: One was pregnancy tests. I just bought a few and kept them in my bathroom, and when I was really scared I would just prove to myself that I was wrong. This sounds like a bad idea and one would imagine me going broke from needing a pregnancy test a day, but strangely enough, after a few of those "see, your fear has nothing to do with a real pregnancy" experiences, I needed them less and less.

The other was talking with my partner about it, who was very sympathetic and patient and willing to go over "I don't think there's any significant possibility that you could be pregnant, but if you were, I'd be there for you and I wouldn't leave you and whether you got an abortion or not would be equally fine and it would be my responsibility as much as yours, you wouldn't be alone" again and again.

Eventually, it wore off. I don't get pregnancy scares at all any more. But I still have that test in the bathroom, just in case. Maybe one day I'll need it for another reason... why knows.
Berry124
not a newbie

I agree Sunshine it is nice to discuss things with others and it is very helpful and to add after a year since my scare I am, and I mean it, I am 99% better. That 1% may always be there due to my anxiety that's part of who I am but I found asking medical professionals (like my usual doctor who has many young patients and is very kind) definitely helped and talking openly to my boyfriend because I believe when somethings niggling at you, such as anxiety, talking about it definitely helps :) For me even crying helps release all that emotional tension. Expressing ourselves and our feelings is a good way to deal with anxiety- based concerns. :) Go all of us posting on here, for how much we've shown anxiety that we don't notice it anymore and that we keep getting better with our concerns every day ! :) :D <3
Tots216
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I am a very loving person with a good soul
Primary language: English.
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Tots216 »

Hi everyone! :)
I just wanted to share my pregnancy/ dry sex scare that I recently had. I'd like to share my own experience so I can put this all behind me, as well as help some other people and be of support to others in the process!! On September 10th, I had dry sex with my boyfriend. He was wearing nothing, and I was wearing jeans (with holes on the upper thighs) and a Lacey pair of undies. I was terrified since there was a full ejaculation involved and had scared myself sick at the thought I was pregnant. I seriously tricked my mind into thinking I was pregnant and it was the scariest thing in the world :( I haven't had much sex Ed in the past, and Google kept turning up false information only to fed into my anxiety. Thank the lord for this website and all of the support its offered :) I've gotten two periods since then and all of my manifested "pregnancy symptoms" have gone away.! But now I've learned how to destress myself with the articles that are provided by scarleteen. It may be laughable to some, but that was the most scariest part of my life thus far, and it's possible to get through it.
Musicmaven19955
Awesomeness Quotient: My singing voice!
Pronouns: She

Unread post by Musicmaven19955 »

One month I had a period skip entirely because I was so completely stressed about being pregnant. After a trip to planned parenthood and a urine test, i found out I was not pregnant. I have had a few scares and never been pregnant. It's terrifying. I am actually currently going through another with a man who ended up having a girlfriend back at his college, which makes this even scarier. So girls I understand. So many people do as well. We are here for eachother.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Just to add a little levity here, I can think of four times in my life I had pregnancy scares.

I get extreme hyperemesis when I become pregnant, so I start feeling very, very sick and much earlier than most pregnant people do (I can't even keep water down some of the time when pregnant, let alone food). So, in my case, twice I had missed periods -- by weeks, not days -- and the other two times, my period wasn't that late yet, but I became the kind of very ill I knew (and know) to be me, pregnant. Both those latter times, I was, indeed pregnant. The two former times, when I wasn't sick yet, I was pregnant but miscarried once, and the other time, I had just skipped a period that cycle.

All four times I was only concerned about pregnancy because I had engaged in penis-in-vagina intercourse. Once, I was on the pill, but had forgotten them for a solid week or so and spaced using a condom (this was in high school, and the sex and pill-forgettage in question occurred when I was on a recreational drug bender, thus my not thinking clearly). Another time, I was only using natural family planning. Another time I was using a diaphragm only, and the other time, a condom only, but it had slipped off (and this was before Plan B).

I can't remember ever being concerned about becoming pregnant from anything NOT associated with a high risk of pregnancy: again, namely intercourse either without any method of birth control, or when that method failed or wasn't very effective.

If it's helpful to know and try and suss out some of why I didn't have concerns about pregnancy from things that aren't for real, I had often had erratic periods, had full faith in knowing how human reproduction and contraceptive methods work (my mother was a nurse, and I grew up hanging out in hospitals, often reading medical books when I was bored), and I also had no issues with figuring (as I did in one case) that I'd just work out gathering funds to go have an abortion with any unwanted pregnancy. I also had, for much of my life, including the times of these "scares", a LOT of very real and very scary other big things to be worried about, so it may also have been that I just didn't even have the emotional bandwidth to worry about anything that wasn't very likely a for-real issue. I also did not have any kind of anxiety disorder, and didn't have any internet to scour and wind up at places with iffy info: when I wanted and needed health information, I went to the library to research myself or asked a healthcare provider at a clinic.

Sometimes, we see users here scared because they are scared of what their families will do, but at the times these things have happened when I was living with family, I already knew one part of my family was going to be awful to me no matter what, as they were every day, pregnant or not, and my other parent had always been universally supportive of me, so there was nothing to be scared about with him, no matter what kind of trouble I might find myself in.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
thinkmcflythink
not a newbie
Pronouns: She, Her, etc.
Sexual identity: Cis gender, heterosexual female

Unread post by thinkmcflythink »

Hey there!
I wanted to add a few of my own things in here as well. Two of the pregnancy scares I've had, I've discussed on here before.

The first one, I was about 16 and attempted to have sex for the first time with my then boyfriend. It was going to be the first time for both of us, so as expected, things went a little awkwardly at first. He ended up not being able to get it into me (my vaginal opening is placed lower than most gals) and so I suggested we stop. He didn't want to and proceeded to force himself on me, to make a long story short. Without a condom on. I was so angry. I remember pulling him out of me and hitting him across the face. My period ended up being late and I was worried, I remember having to tell my mom and she was very ashamed of me and didn't know how to react. I took a pregnancy test, which said negative and my period came the next day.

Not long after that, I discovered this site (yay!) and started educating myself about what happened. I never knew I was partner assaulted until I read an article on here that discussed the different types of abuse. I started getting lots of sexual health books from my local library, like our bodies, ourselves and others. A little over a year later, I went to my first gynecologist visit and got put on oral birth control.

The second time, I was about 19 and it was my freshman year of college. I had a 2 week fling with this guy I met by chance and we had anal sex in his bedroom, which I enjoyed, the condom broke while it was in my rectum. I was on the pill and religiously take it at the same time everyday, so I wasn't too worried. However, I had a late pill the one day, which made me concerned enough to go buy plan-b from the CVS down the street from campus. I felt like crap for about a week from mixing the two together (which I don't recommend), however, my period did eventually come. Which was a little weird since I haven't gotten any for the large part of the time I've been on my ultra-low dose pill.

I definitely learned from both of those experiences and feel like I have become more educated and better able to handle situations because of them. I agree, it's comforting to hear other's stories and know you aren't alone. You can learn something from every life experience you have and it ultimately just makes you a better and stronger person. I'm much more confident about my sexual self than I used to be when I was younger, in large part due to Scarleteen, and I love it!
Bliss
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight Female

Unread post by Bliss »

I had a pregnancy scare this year and being a person who's prone to anxiety, the activity that didn't have any realistic risk bothered me. When my period arrived, I was relieved. But my anxiety didn't stop that I had to go to an OB to confirm I'm not pregnant. After months of getting through this struggle, I've realized a lot of things why I felt the scare:

1. I was not ready. It happened in the heat of the moment.
2. I felt shame because of the pressure I feel around me and the promise (to be intimate when I'm truly ready) I broke

I learned from this experience and I begin to love my body even more. Periods somehow indicate a good status of my body and therefore I try my best not to stress myself too much.

Getting over this is hard for me. And honestly, I'm still recovering from it after four periods and several negative tests. But I'm happy I'm in a better place now. To those who's still recovering from the scare, know that you're not alone. I agree with other people here that hardships that you overcome make you a stronger person. If you need anything, you've got a bunch of awesome people here willing to help you.
caligirl94
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My smile
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Unread post by caligirl94 »

I've definitely made some dumb decisions during the time that I've been sexually active. The most recent scare I had happened about 3 months ago. My now ex and I had been having sex quite frequently and at time time, I was on the pill. This time in particular, I was a little late on taking my pill and I had recently just stopped medication for a UTI that I had. I guess with the combination of the anti-biotics that I was taking and my pill, my body kind of started to spaz out. I got what I thought was my period but it was just spotting. For almost a month, I didn't have a period and we were having unprotected sex. I was freaking out for the longest time because I really thought that I was pregnant. Thankfully, 3 week later, my period came. I had never been so happy before in my life. :D

I think one piece of advice that I can give on the pregnancy scare situation is to be open about it with someone you trust. Whether that be your partner, a best friend, your parent(s) or a sibling...there's no point in going through it alone!
mina897
Awesomeness Quotient: an excellent student
Primary language: serbian
Sexual identity: straight

Unread post by mina897 »

Hello everyone. I'm only 17 and I was going through one big pregnancy scare this summer. I just want to reach somehow to the girls who could be dealing with similar thing.
I had more than enough reason to be scared: i felt every pregnancy symptom that there is. I even had what I thought at that time was implantation bleeding.
Being pregnancy scared is a vicious state that gives you no peace, no sleep nor stability. Despite getting so many negative tests I have not believed any of them.
To be very honest, I've never kept track of timetables for my periods. They would come once in a month (usually, especially this year - they were very regular) But getting 2 periods in June - first one on the 5th of June and the second one on 22nd of june (5 DAYS AFTER THE SEXUAL INTERCOURSE) made me very cautious since I'm neither on birth control nor have I taken any other pill (morning pills) that could make my body have period twice. That 'implantation bleeding' was rather odd in the beginning, but later seemed like a regular period - lasted for 5 days, very heavy - so I dismissed the possibility of that being a sign for a while. The whole july I haven't got a period at all which was fine until the 22nd when I started to panick. I started looking for symptoms, once I read them I realised I had some of them, and later that week felt other early pregnancy symptoms (sore breasts, nausea, stomach ache and frequent urination).
Internet was the worrst friend I had at those days. I read a lot of blogs of potential mums, of common 'false-negatives' and whatnot. The only article that helped me sleep for a few hours a day was 'Chicken Soup for the Pregnancy Symptom Freakout's Soul' from Heather Corinna (that's why I'm posting this here) Once 6 weeks and 1 day from sex passed I had a blood test which said LESS THAN 2. (a definite negative)
And now here comes the bed part: I did not trust it.
Only pepple who had been truly pregnancy scared like I was can understand that state of mind. I have not had UNPROTECTED sex, we used condoms and a pull-out method (but yes, there is still a chance, we didn't wash our hands every time, and did it more than once in a row), I had more than 5 home pregnancy tests and each said NEGATIVE, and with a blood test that was once again negative, I couldn't bring myself to believe it.
Today, on the 12th of August, I got my period.(yes, the happiest day of my life) I realised how much stress influenced not just my mental health, but physical. I invented the symptoms and postponed my period due to anxiety and stress I was dealing with. As a 17-year-old teen who hid everything from parents and had to go through all of it bby herself (stressful process of wait for a test result, shaking and cetra), I recommend all of you to share your pregnancy scare with at least a very trustworthy friend who will help you ease your mind a bit.
I definitely learned a lot from this scare, and trust me, trust me, ONLY TRUST THE TESTS! (and if your period doesn't come, repeat the test after some time)
I hope I will help another girl who is going through the same thing by writing things.(like Heather Corinna's words helped me)
anxgiraffe

Unread post by anxgiraffe »

I'm so glad I found this thread. I'm going through a pregnancy scare right now (my first!) and it's killing me.

Seriously having a pregnancy scare is the loneliest thing I've ever experienced in my entire life. Getting pregnant is my biggest fear. I live in an extremely conservative country where my friends get uncomfortable knowing my boyfriend and I share a bed when we go on trips. I feel so much shame that I've become that girl with a pregnancy scare, an having anxiety doesn't help at all.

I've always been so careful. I pride myself in being so careful, because that's how I deal with anxiety before it affects me. I have three alarms that remind me to take my pill every day, but one day I was late starting a new pill pack by about 10 hours. At first this didn't bother me because hey, at least I took the pill. My boyfriend and I then had (admittedly very amazing) sex the next day, which was super enthusiastic....and he came in me. That has never happened before. He was shocked. I was busy calming him down, and then I went about my life as usual the next day.

The day after that I was checking my Clue app, and I realised that I started the new pill pack late just the day before. Then I went into a black hole of Googling and turns out, my pill might have failed because the new pill pack started late. That was when I started panicking. Just shy of the 60 hour mark we skipped work in the morning and got me ella, but turns out it's only 89% effective. Now I'm just waiting till about 6 days before my period so I can take a first response test.

The wait is fucking killing me. Anxiety is making it 1000000x worse because I have dreams of being pregnant, a little girl with bouncy hair, I google all sorts of pregnancy related things endlessly - abortion, 2 weeks pregnant symptoms, abortion pill, what's the earliest time I can take a test, etc. I cry a lot, especially when I'm alone, and worst of all, because I feel so much shame, I haven't told any of my close friends about this. My boyfriend is also terrified, and I think he's avoiding my texts sometimes because he just doesn't know what to say. I don't blame him, I wouldn't know what to do either.

If you've come here through Google as well, I just want to tell you that you're not alone. This thread is proof. It's normal to feel shame and worry endlessly and feel so, so, so alone and upset. I think what helps is to just disconnect yourself from the Internet. My Googling all sorts of crap isn't helping me (hello dark hole of pro-life abortion videos). Talk to someone, even if you feel so much shame. I'm lucky to have a close fandom friend I've been leaning on, and also my boyfriend, who other than the texts avoidance, has been absolutely A+ with this whole shebang. Fill your time with things that give you lots of joy and keep you moving - go out for a run or a swim, walk your dog, just don't lie in bed like I did and wait it out.

We'll get through this, and we'll get stronger from this.
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

(anxgiraffe: for the combined pill (containing progestin and estrogen), a pill only becomes a properly late pill if it's 12+ hours after the time you usually take it. So, 10 hours later than you were meant to take it isn't actually a late pill, and is highly unlikely to reduce your pill's effectiveness. There was no real need to take ella in this circumstance. Having taken ella, though, you do now need to use a back-up method like condoms for the next couple of weeks, as ella may reduce your usual pill's effectiveness.

You've probably noticed that we don't answer "am I pregnant" questions or talk about pregnancy fear itself, but if you'd like to talk about something related - for example, getting more reliable information on your pill, talking about a different and more goof-proof second method than withdrawal, how to get more support from someone in your personal life - you're very welcome to start your own thread and ask us.)
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Elle81
Awesomeness Quotient: Eyes
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Female

Unread post by Elle81 »

I'd like to start out by saying that I've many pregnancy scares in my time of being sexually active. I lost my virginity at the age of 19 to my current boyfriend whom I love deeply. Sex was a scary thought for I knew all the possible risks that came with it. One of those risks being pregnancy. Although we always used condoms I was always felt scare after we had sex because I just automatically assumed I was pregnant because in my mind a condom wasn't enough. I would stop having sex until I could take a pregnancy test. I would buy at least 6 test every time and all would be negative. This happened every time I had sex to the point where sex was no longer enjoyable for me because I was always scared. My boyfriend has always been very supportive but I needed constant reassurance that I wasn't pregnant. I read many articles about pregnancy scares to the point where I would have literal pregnanancy symptoms. This continued until I got on the pill. My point is that sometimes we cause our own "symptoms."
heretohelp

Unread post by heretohelp »

Hi there!
I'm aware that this was posted last year, but I felt the need to share my story as well considering what got me through the worst scare of my life was reading some of these stories.
So about 3 weeks ago I had unprotected sex with a guy and I am not on birth control. He pulled out (I am well aware that this is not a reliable method of birth control), however, I couldn't recall whether or not he wiped off after he came, and right after he came we proceeded to have sex 2 other times, meaning there was a huge chance that there was sperm in his precum. To make matters worse for me this all happened the day before I started ovulating which means there was a much higher chance of conception. I also did not go to get the morning after pill because I was too nervous to go up to the counter at the pharmacy and as for it (stupid reason, I know).
Around a week after this happened I started looking up symptoms of pregnancy and read about people who had unplanned pregnancies (I highly suggest no one in this situation does that because you will feel much worse). After reading these I began showing symptoms; my boobs were tender and I convinced myself that they were swollen, I felt extremely nauseated, I got more nauseated when exposed to certain scents, and my vaginal discharge was white/yellow and thicker than usual. I was absolutely terrified and I am convinced that the majority of these symptoms were caused by anxiety, while the others were simply caused by PMS. The next week was absolute hell; I could not get out of bed, I cried multiple times, I couldn't face any of my family members, and my anxiety was physically making me sick. I began distancing myself from people because I figured if I was pregnant (which I was convinced I was) no one would want to associate with me.
Anyways, to make a long story short this morning I got my period and I am not exaggerating when I say this is the happiest day of my life (I almost cried happy tears and that never happens to me). I felt it was necessary for me to share this story on here and I really hope it at least helps someone feel at ease or less anxious. It seemed all the odds were against me and I had convinced myself my life was over, but there's no sense in panicking until you know for certain because chances are you'll make yourself sick over absolutely nothing. I also read online that only around 30% of people trying to conceive do so successfully in the first month. This is people who are TRYING to have kids and therefore are continuously engaging in unprotected sex. That means 70% of people can't conceive within a month, and I'm assuming if you're reading this you probably have not had unprotected sex multiple times this month in order to try and conceive; it was probably a one time thing.
In a time of such high stress and anxiety, it is important that you take care of yourself. Remember to breathe and know that in the end everything will be fine :D
Camille54
not a newbie

Unread post by Camille54 »

Hey guys!
I dunno if it's too late to post about my recent pregnancy scare but I guess that by posting my story here, I can help out another teen facing the same scare as mine.

A month ago, I almost had sex with my boyfriend.... by almost, like I mean we both attempted to put his... inisde me but for like less than 5 seconds without any condom or whatsoever.. crazy!!! Anyways, fast forward to the next week and I was supposed to get my period... that was the worst day of my life. I was waiting for it on the day itself but no blood, no discharge, no anything - nothing came out of me! I felt stressed out since my 2 previous cycles came right on time and I was kinda worried... fast forward to the next day and still nothing. Until the next day, nothing again! Until finally, on the third day of waiting, my boyfriend and I decided to get a pregnancy test. So there, I tested myself and it came out negative. We were both so relieved but I was still kind of worried since I still didn't have my period. When I came home the same day I took the pregnancy test, I got my period!!! Hallelujah!

That was the best day of my life!

Anyways, fast forward to following days (aka, a week after having my period)... I still had this fear at the back of my mind that what if I'm still pregnant? :( I had to test myself again twice just for my peace of mind. Both came out negative. I swear, I couldn't eat, sleep and even talk. I decided to search on the internet and oh life, some stories said it's possible to get your period while pregnant. I beg to disagree, you can not have your period when you're pregnant. You may bleed but not as heavy as a woman's normal period and it's called implantation bleeding. I am certain I had my period last month and not implantation bleeding since it was heavy and I had severe cramps on my 2 second day.

Anyways, it's been weeks and sometimes, I feel anxious and scared.. Sometimes I feel the symptoms kicking in again or i don't know if it's just my mind placking tricks on me.

The other day, I bought 3 more pregnancy tests. I tested myself the other day (disclaimer: it's been 2 weeks since the scare) and it came out negative. Earlier this morning, also negative. I'm planning to save the other one for probably next week

For now, I feel relieved. I'm still not ready to be a mom and I still got dreams to fulfill :(

For other teens facing a pregnancy scare right now, I just wanna say: relax and try to calm down. Being in so much stress can be harmful for your health and may affect your daily activities (like it did with mine) so my advice: take care of yourselves and get yourselves tested by buying a home pregnancy test if you are still uncertain.

I will try to update my status here if there would be any changes with my situation!!
angsty_teen
Pronouns: She/Her

Unread post by angsty_teen »

I'm so relieved that I found this thread. I'm currently experiencing the worst pregnancy scare. A few weeks ago, I engaged in dry and oral sex with my boyfriend and he didn't ejaculate anywhere near my vag but I'm just feeling super anxious and scared. I know it is extremely unlikely that I could get pregnant but (like most of you), I spiraled down because I have terrible anxiety and I went on a googling spree and even went to the planned parenthood live chats- 2 weeks pregnancy symptoms, abortion options, coping with a pregnancy scare and abortion grief. My period isn't due in a few days but I'm just terrified. However, last time I had a very light bleeding but it literally only lasted for a few minutes (the blood wasn't like implantation bleeding because it was bright red and I suspect the blood came from masturbating too hard hahaha TMI alert)

It's comforting to know that you're not alone and most of you are literally feeling exactly the same way that I'm feeling. I find that the first thing that I try to do is to not worry. Avoid googling, everything just gets so much worse when you're googling every single thing. Someone told me to just indulge; watch your favorite film, take a bath, read a book. And it really did help me.
Glitterkat
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I listen well

Unread post by Glitterkat »

Hi everyone!
I feel the need to post here..maybe it'll give me some peace of mind and help another girl out there who is freaking out about a scare.
About a month and a week ago, I engaged in unprotected sex with someone I really wish I would have never gotten involved with. Other things factor in of course but we're discussing the scare. We actually engaged in genital to genital contact, he put himself inside me once or twice (according to him he wasn't in there for very long), and finished off by rubbing against my vulva. And to top it off, he literally ejaculated on the top/middle of my vulva. Of course the only thing going through my head at the time was (f**k, I'm not on bc and I could very well get pregnant.) I literally stared at him in horror and anger for about 10 seconds before I wiped.
Now girls..I live in a country where sex before marriage is a HUGE no no. It is not socially or culturally acceptable to engage in any sexual acts before marriage. My parents are extremely conservative in their religion and I have some pretty mucky history with running away from home and what not. Annnnyway..
Fast forward about 5 days later, I got my period! I was so so so relieved I almost cried with joy. It looked like a period and acted like a period so it must have been a period. The thing is that my periods are irregular and I had missed 2 previous cycles (a whole 59 days of no period!) so I wasn't really sure when to expect it. When it came it was a pleasant surprise. About 6 days after (when my period was finished) I tested with a hpt and got a negative. Too early I know but at the time it cemented my relief.
I was relieved until my little anxiety monster decided to start whispering in my ear and all the what ifs started crowding my brain. Look it up is what I always do. With ANY health scare I have had in the past I ALWAYS look up symptoms. And with any scare I've had in the past I literally start showing the symptoms I read about. Obviously this didn't help. Over the course of this whole month I started being hyper aware of every pain or ache in my body. I had bought about 7 hpts so far, taken 6 and all negative. This last one I'm saving for next week.
But I've convinced myself I might be pregnant because of all the information or lack thereof that I've read on the unfriendly internet. Implantation bleeding, decidual bleeding, tender, swollen or enlarged breasts (which I've convinced myself was actually happening to me) belly bloat or weight gain (was my tummy always this squishy? Did my ribs like..flare out to make room for a baby???!) and a "missed period" even though my periods are irregular to begin with. Plus all the pms pains are there but still noooo period. But again that has happened to me many times before.
I'm exhausted. I cannot convince myself, despite having my period a month ago and 6 negative tests, that I'm not pregnant. For some reason, I can't seem to trust the tests. I know deep down inside this is just my anxiety and deep rooted fear of disappointing my parents again. The shame I feel in almost every aspect of my life..and I'm really alone in all of this because I can't talk to anyone about it.
But let me tell you! Scarleteen has helped me tremendously to get to sleep at night. Or when the anxiousness flares up I read the articles about pregnancy tests and the facts about everything else. I've stopped looking on the internet for any information and quietly repeat my mantra of, "you had your period. Your tests are negative. You are not pregnant".
Glitterkat
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I listen well

Unread post by Glitterkat »

So girls hang in there, get tested and do everything in your power to feel NORMAL. Feeling normal, doing normal things will help get your mind off of it and hopefully in time you will feel better. And stop checking the internet, stop squishing your boobs to see if they're sore or not, and stop checking your tummy! (This is advice for myself as well..I really need to stop doing these things)
Chances are your brain will catch on to every thing that feels "different" when really you've always felt these things. But BECAUSE you're looking for them you'll feel them and more.
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

(AradiaGrace27, I moved your post to its own, new thread, so we can talk with you without it getting lost in this more general thread, as your topic is a little different to the other posts here. You can find your new thread at http://www.scarleteen.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6298 :) )
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic