Taking Care of Ourselves and Others Post-Jan 6th (and almost a year into a pandemic)

When you want support through something scary or rough, and help pulling yourself together and getting through, this is the place.
Forum rules
We ask that users looking for general, ongoing emotional support post in this area of the boards, and that you use this space to both ask for, give and receive that support primarily from each other, rather than from our staff and volunteers. As a staff, we simply are often too overextended with all we need to do in running the organization and its services to do that for extended periods of time, and one of our main aims of our community at the boards has always been to facilitate peers to better be there for each other.

Users often report that they have no in-person peers they can talk to or seek support from: we want this to be a space for online peer support and somewhere everyone can get some practice asking for, getting and giving support so that doing it with people in your lives feels more doable.

Please remember that neither staff, volunteers nor your fellow users can provide or replace mental healthcare when that is something you need. Users struggling with issues like anxiety, depression, abuse or physical health issues are strongly encouraged to seek out qualified, in-person help with those issues in addition to peer or staff support.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Taking Care of Ourselves and Others Post-Jan 6th (and almost a year into a pandemic)

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi everyone,

I don't know about y'all, but the first week and a half of the new year already feels overwhelming, given the violence in D.C and the threat of it in many other places and that fact the pandemic is still going on. So, I thought I'd start this thread as a space to talk about ways we've been looking after (or trying to) ourselves and the people we care about. Mine are pretty small; I finally bought video game controllers so my partner and I can play the Horrible Goose game on two player mode, and I've been trying to be more active in group texts with friends. On the more political end, I've been calling my representatives and trying to donate to community care resources.

How about you?
Susan
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My face
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her, They/them
Sexual identity: Bi/Pan

Re: Taking Care of Ourselves and Others Post-Jan 6th (and almost a year into a pandemic)

Unread post by Susan »

Hey ya'll,

I'm trying to focus on my business and accumulating clients. It's a big job that I've been kinda neglecting for awhile, so I figured that it would be a good distraction. Other than that, I've been reading classics books by female authors, which has been interesting (Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley, and Poems, by Emily Dickinson most recently). I've also got some controllers, and I'm now addicted to Super Impossible road lol (not so good for getting work done, but I guess its still a distraction).

On the political side, I'm in Canada, but it's still scary to watch things unravel in the neighbouring country. Things where I live have been getting worse, pandemic-wise, with a high number of cases in vulnerable communities (like mine). On a more positive note, Canada finally approved the Pfizer vaccine, so there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Hope everyone's taking care of themselves!
“I have spoken.” - Kuill, The Mandalorian
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic