Medication

When you want support through something scary or rough, and help pulling yourself together and getting through, this is the place.
Forum rules
We ask that users looking for general, ongoing emotional support post in this area of the boards, and that you use this space to both ask for, give and receive that support primarily from each other, rather than from our staff and volunteers. As a staff, we simply are often too overextended with all we need to do in running the organization and its services to do that for extended periods of time, and one of our main aims of our community at the boards has always been to facilitate peers to better be there for each other.

Users often report that they have no in-person peers they can talk to or seek support from: we want this to be a space for online peer support and somewhere everyone can get some practice asking for, getting and giving support so that doing it with people in your lives feels more doable.

Please remember that neither staff, volunteers nor your fellow users can provide or replace mental healthcare when that is something you need. Users struggling with issues like anxiety, depression, abuse or physical health issues are strongly encouraged to seek out qualified, in-person help with those issues in addition to peer or staff support.
aven1861
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I am a SFX artist
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: polysexual masc romantic

Medication

Unread post by aven1861 »

Hi everyone! I hope yall are having a good day :) Tomorrow I have a doctor's appointment to get anxiety meds and I'm kinda nervous. If anyone feels comfortable sharing their med story/tips id really appreciate it!
Emily N
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to cook!
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: pansexual

Re: Medication

Unread post by Emily N »

Hi aven1861!

That’s awesome, I’m glad you are taking this step for yourself!

When I started a medication, I was nervous too - it’s not something that ever felt like an option when I talked to my family members about mental health. I was lucky that I had a therapist I really clicked with, so it was helpful to spend time talking with her about how my mental health changed after starting the medication. I also wanted to be as transparent as possible with my doctor about any side effects of the medication so that the dose or type of medication could be changed if it didn’t feel good for me. It definitely took a lot of time and work to figure it all out, but it was absolutely the best option for me at the time.

Good luck at your appointment today, I’m sending good thoughts! Of course, if you want to talk more, we are all here to listen and support!
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

I hope your appointment went well! I've had experiences with a few different medications for mental health issues; some have worked very well and others have been a bad fit for me. One thing that I think is good to keep in mind is that doctors who prescribe this kind of medication are, generally speaking, very used to patients having an adjustment period or needing to adjust dosages or medications. If the first thing you try isn't a great fit, please don't be afraid to speak up and talk to your doctor about it!

I don't know if you ever struggle to keep track of your mood, but I found that making some brief notes in a journal of some kind can be helpful when you go back in for a checkup and the doctor asks how you've been feeling for the past few weeks.
aven1861
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I am a SFX artist
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: polysexual masc romantic

Unread post by aven1861 »

Hi! Sorry for the late response! I finally got diagnosed with GAD and dysthymia and got meds. Haha guess who has to do exams when they have so many side effects........Even tho I wanted to meds I feel kinda weird and guilty that I need them. its hard to explain. just wanted to update!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi aven1861,

Thank you for the update and hooray for accessing the care you need!

I will say, that guilt around needing meds is something I've seen people express before. There's still a stigma attached to taking mental health medication, with a lot of us internalizing the belief that meds are somehow a sign we're not tough enough or smart enough to deal with out mental health in some other way. But the truth is, meds are just one tool of many someone can use to manage mental health issues, and there's no shame in taking them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic