Dear Scarleteen

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
wolfcub
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I generally don't care about what the world says
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him/his
Sexual identity: heterosexual

Dear Scarleteen

Unread post by wolfcub »

A few months ago, I posted a "topic" where I basically screamed into the void about my frustrations of never having a girlfriend and the struggle of finding one. I didn't mean anything by it and only did it as a way to release 3 years worth of pent up frustrations in a way that wouldn't harm anyone. Since it was only on the internet, I thought no one would care.

I talked with my mother about this and she presented me with a Wikipedia article about the 2014 Isla Vista killings. When presented with the information, I immediately realized the actual weight of my actions, and felt like an idiot for doing so. Being on the spectrum, I am mostly out of touch with things like politics, including ones that could greatly influence a society's response to certain actions and behaviors. When I was sent a message by the website telling me my comment was taken down, I realized that I violated the user's agreement, but I didn't realize exactly how great the gravity of my comment was in the grand scheme of things and how similar it was to an event that actually happened 6 years ago.

That being said, I would like to humbly apologize to anyone I may have frightened with my rant. I now realize how much fear the aggressive words of a 21 year old male can create and will try to choose my words more carefully in the future. And I would also like to sincerely thank the people at Scarleteen for putting up with me and leaving me with just a slap on the wrist instead of kicking me off.

Seriously, I'm SO sorry. I know it seems weird but I swear to God, I didn't know
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: They

Re: Dear Scarleteen

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi woflcub,

Thank you for writing this!

I wish more people were able to read about that case and use it to question their own language, attitudes and behaviours.

I also think it's great you and your mom have a relationship where you were able to communicate about the situation here. Her giving you that article seems to have had a big impact and it's awesome that she understood that you would be able to relate to her underlying message.
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
wolfcub
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I generally don't care about what the world says
Pronouns: he/him/his
Sexual identity: heterosexual

Unread post by wolfcub »

It's not that special. She just has tons experience dealing with autistic offspring. She knew that I just needed a little context
Amanda F
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to go rock climbing outside!
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Amanda F »

Hey wolfcub,

Thank you for your apology and for reflecting on your words! That's much appreciated.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic