Book Recommendations?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
hotdogfriendo
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him

Book Recommendations?

Unread post by hotdogfriendo »

I'm really interested in sexology and lately I've been reading a lot of books about it. I'm wondering if anybody knows of any good books about sexuality, queer, or trans history? I finished Transgender History by Susan Stryker, and I really enjoyed it, and I'm currently working on Intimate Matters by John D'Emilio and Estelle B. Freedman. I might check out the book on virginity one of the Scarleteen articles discussed, but I dunno, I figured the people here might know of some other cool books.
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Book Recommendations?

Unread post by al »

This is an awesome idea, hotdogfriendo!
One of my partner's favorite pieces of fiction is Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller, which is a reimagining (and a better one, in my opinion) of the story of the ancient Greek soldiers Achilles and Patroclus.
If you're going the graphic novels route, Queer: A Graphic History from Icon Books is a good one (although probably more like an illustration of what you've been reading already). Fun Home by Alison Bechdel is essential queer reading for sure, although it has some pretty dark themes in it, so it's good to know that going in. Also, all of the ones on this list!
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic