Online dating, worth it?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
wolfcub
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I generally don't care about what the world says
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him/his
Sexual identity: heterosexual

Online dating, worth it?

Unread post by wolfcub »

I tried Match.com for a while but ended up getting zero responses in a few months. Not even a like, nada. Needless to say, it really dampened my spirits. I eventually gave up and decided to go on Tinder instead. I haven't paid for my membership yet (I'm still waiting for the issues with my debit card to be cleared up) but I've already got 5 likes which is a huge step up from before. I thought I would be happy that I'm finally getting a shot at meeting actual girls, but instead im just worried that the responses I got aren't even real people. Call me paranoid or whatever I just have a hard time believing in things just suddenly getting better. I guess what I want to know is, how often am i going to see bots on this thing compared to real humans? What's the general ratio? Will it be every once in a while or all the freaking time?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Online dating, worth it?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Wolfcub,

I don't know exact numbers, but when it comes to humans versus bots on dating websites, you're still probably more likely be interacting with an actual person than a spam account. Too, when it comes to accounts you want to have conversations with, it will become pretty clear pretty quickly whether you're talking to a person or a bot. And given the recommendations around social distancing right now, you'll have quite a bit of time to talk to a potential partner before ever meeting them in person.

With the change in reaction on Tinder versus Match, I get that it can be jarring to go from zero attention to some attention. But, I think one possible explanation is that, for whatever reason, Tinder is a better fit for you, which is why you're already noticing responses.
Amanda F
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to go rock climbing outside!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: Online dating, worth it?

Unread post by Amanda F »

Hi Wolfcub,

You've started multiple threads about the same topic, which makes it a little hard for us to have one good conversation with you about this. I'm going to lock this thread and ask that you continue talking to us in the "Struggling with Dating Apps" thread going forward. I think that will be more productive and will also let other visitors who may have the same question see our conversation in one place. See you over there!
Locked Previous topicNext topic