Is casual dating ok?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
wolfcub
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I generally don't care about what the world says
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him/his
Sexual identity: heterosexual

Is casual dating ok?

Unread post by wolfcub »

Ok, here's the deal. I have basically no experience in dating and it's getting frustrating for me. When it comes to the topic of sex, I used to just run away. But the thing is, I want to know what it's like, at least once. I've heard people say that you can just casually date or even hook up with someone but the concept of both has always been foreign to me. I think what I'm trying to ask here is, is casually dating/hook ups a good idea for me, someone who's never even kissed a girl before and gets timid due to his inexperience?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Is casual dating ok?

Unread post by Heather »

Well, if it helps, I certainly don't think any of us can do a good job deciding that a serious, long-term and/or committed relationship is right for us without already knowing who we're in one with and having a good deal of experience in a less "serious" relationship with them first. Casual dating or at least casual-getting-to-know-each-other is basically the healthy way we get to the other thing (if and when we even want to), excluding relationships that start when people meet or get to know one another in crises like natural disasters.

Too, getting more experience with something is usually how we increase our confidence with it.

But most of all, if I have this right, I hear you saying that you'd like to try dating, and that right there makes it okay for you to try. If dating is something you want to do, it's something okay for you to do.

How can we help from here?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
wolfcub
not a newbie

Unread post by wolfcub »

Where and how do i start?
wolfcub
not a newbie

Unread post by wolfcub »

Ok, where and how do i start?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

Is there anyone in particular you're interested in dating right now, or are you looking for ways to find potential dating partners?
wolfcub
not a newbie

Unread post by wolfcub »

The latter.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

Got it! So, a good first step, if you're hoping to date people but don't have anyone in particular in mind, is to think about ways you could make connections with new people. Other than dating apps or websites, the way most people meet folks they want to date is by encountering them in their daily lives through existing friends, school, hobbies, community events, etc. What sort of things are in involved in, as part of your everyday life? Are there any new activities or social events you might be interested in that would give you a chance to meet more people, some of whom might be potential dating partners?

Things like apps that are meant specifically for finding people to date are an option as well; I don't know if you're interested in that sort of thing or not but that could be another avenue to investigate.
wolfcub
not a newbie

Unread post by wolfcub »

I completely forgot how to post new topics. Please help
Amanda F
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to go rock climbing outside!
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Amanda F »

Hi Wolfcub,

You've started multiple threads about the same topic, which makes it a little hard for us to have one good conversation with you about this. I'm going to lock this thread and ask that you continue talking to us in the "Struggling with Dating Apps" thread going forward. I think that will be more productive and will also let other visitors who may have the same question see our conversation in one place. See you over there!
Locked Previous topicNext topic