Tampon Terror and Pain

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Confused female
Awesomeness Quotient: I always seem to make others smile
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Asexual, sex-repulsed

Tampon Terror and Pain

Unread post by Confused female »

So I have a big problem. I'm stuck in a swimming class I can't get out of and didn't think it would be a problem at the time, but then I remembered periods where a thing. I'm 18 and never had used a tampon before and the idea of something going into my vagina disgusted me. So I did some research and came up with a plan. I not only got a period swimsuit, but also plan to talk to my doctor about getting birth control so my periods are lighter and will be more predictable. Only problem is that first day when flow is the heaviest. My mom said how for that first day I would still need to use a tampon. So I sucked it up and tried...only to fail the first time and when I got it in the second time it really hurt and I almost passed out :( I was really sore afterwords and felt terrible. Maybe I can get by without one? The class doesn't swim everyday, so maybe if I get lucky enough my first flow won't ever end up on a swimming day? Either way I need advice and a new game plan, any suggestions?
phantomdog
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: i'm a biology researcher!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: he / him
Sexual identity: bi

Re: Tampon Terror and Pain

Unread post by phantomdog »

hi,

if you've never used a tampon before, it can definitely be a jarring / nerve-wracking experience, but rest assured, it doesn't have to be. unless there is an underlying health condition, it is not harmful in any way to use a tampon - vaginas are, by design, suited to withstand things going in and out. i think it's great you've sought different solutions to avoid tampon usage if it makes you uncomfortable, but sometimes (like this situation) you gotta do what you gotta do. it does sound a bit that psychological factors are causing / contributing to the degree of discomfort that is happening when you try inserting a tampon. it helps some people to take some deep breaths and relax their muscles - tension increases pain, and inserting tampons when you're not actually bleeding can hurt too. i'd recommend talking to your doctor about this pain, because it does seem much more extreme than most experience, so it's important to rule out any underlying conditions that could be causing this. alternatively (though still bring this up with your doctor), you could talk to your swimming instructor and tell them you can't swim that day. most people will get it and make arrangements around your predicament. hope this helps!
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi I just want to say,

I don't think you 'gotta do what you gotta do' at all! If you haven't found a way to make swimming a comfortable experience for you, I don't think it's on you to do anything you feel uncomfortable with.

I do agree that talking to your swim instructor could be a good call though, especially if they are someone who menstruates too. They might have input or encouragement that could make this whole process less stressful.

With the absorbent period swimwear... is it not possible that this will have you covered already? I know your mum was sceptical but could you do a test run in the bath?
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by al »

Hi Confused female,

I'm sorry to hear that this is coming up for you - navigating tampon stuff for the first time can be hard and confusing, even without the pressure of feeling like you might be missing out on something if you're not able to make it happen. Like other folks have said above, the more stressed out that someone feels about putting anything inside themselves (be it vaginally or anally), the more difficult and/or painful it'll likely be. So it seems like tampons aren't the best bet for the moment, and that's okay. It's possible that it might feel more doable in the future, but for now, know that there are lots of folks out there who don't use tampons for a lot of different reasons.

You mentioned - a feeling of disgust when you think about inserting anything in your vagina - can you speak more on that? What makes you feel that way?
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic