do antibiotics really affect your pill?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
ctj1718
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her

do antibiotics really affect your pill?

Unread post by ctj1718 »

I've just started Amoxicillin 500mg and will take it for a week. Would this affect my contraceptive pill "rigevidon" that I am currently taking, I'm taking it during my 7 day break, should I still use condoms when I start my new active pill pack as I am planning to have sex the week after I stop taking Amoxicillin. Will I still be protected against pregnancy?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: do antibiotics really affect your pill?

Unread post by Heather »

They might not, but they can. Here's an intensive and current piece on that for you: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/bodie ... th_control

We generally suggest playing it safe by just backing up with condoms while you're using the antibiotics and, if you want to be extra cautious, through the first week of your next pill pack, since it's such a relatively easy thing to do, and something we need to do for STI protection, anyway. I personally also always advise playing it extra safe with safer sex period whenever we have or have just recently had any kind of infection, since we can be more susceptible to other infections in that case.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic