Birth controlling while trans

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
EJWqttt
Awesomeness Quotient: I love Roman history
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him or ze/hir
Sexual identity: pansexual

Birth controlling while trans

Unread post by EJWqttt »

I'm a 16 year old trans guy in a relationship with a cis guy. I would like to go on birth control, partly for safe sex reasons, but mostly because I am deeply sick of feeling like I'm bleeding to death once a month. (No, testosterone is not yet an option. Just two more years. Just two more years!) I'm just not sure what forms of birth control will eliminate the bleeding. Which are best at that? And are there any that will do so and don't contain estrogen (because the last thing I want is more estrogen)? And any other advice on getting birth control as a trans guy? Because I don't want to have to pretend to be a girl to get this done. Thanks in advance!

-Elishe
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Birth controlling while trans

Unread post by Heather »

You do have some non-estrogen options that often accomplish that, namely, the Mirena IUD, Depo-provera or the implant. Most often those reduce flow, or reduce how often it happens, more than outright making it go away, but sometimes people using those methods do find their periods simply stop in time or get very, very light and infrequent.

You should not have to present your gender or identity as anything different than you want to access contraception, and you certainly can screen for that. I would suggest calling any clinics or providers you have access to for contraception and simply asking them first over the phone about this very plainly, a la, "I am a trans gender guy, and I need contraception because I have a uterus and do not want a baby in it. Is your clinic/practice trans-inclusive?" And if ther is anything you know right now you specifically need to feel comfortable, like, say, then using your correct gender pronouns when seeing you, you can by all means ask about that in advance of making an appointment, too.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic