Good sex-positive books for teens

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Gigi976
Awesomeness Quotient: I work as an advocate for SA/DV survivors.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: pansexual

Good sex-positive books for teens

Unread post by Gigi976 »

Hello All!
I work as an Advocate and facilitate a teen group that discusses issues such as consent, healthy sexuality/relationships, inequity, gender/identity, BC, disability etc. The teen group gives presentations to the community about these topics. We are working with our local library to create a "tough topics" section for young adults. I would love ideas/suggestions for some books that tackle these topics in sex-positive and equitable ways. We are also creating a locker at the Library which will have free condoms, feminine hygiene products, etc. Thank you for any and all suggestions! :D
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Good sex-positive books for teens

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Gigi976,

What a cool idea! Are you looking for non-fiction, fiction, or a mix of both? And what would you say the age range in the group is?
Gigi976

Unread post by Gigi976 »

Hey Sam,
Thanks! Looking for a mix of both-age range is 13-17. We do have S.E.X. by Heather Corinna on order-which looks fantastic.
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Got it!

I have a few recommendations, and other staff and volunteers might have ones to add. I'd recommend ordering "Wait, What?" along with S.E.X; it's aimed at middle school readers, but can also be good to have on hand for teens with learning disabilities, who have English as a second language, or are looking to help a little sibling with this stuff.

For other nonfiction:
-Come as You Are by Emily Nagoski
-Yes Means Yes edited by Jaclyn Friedman
-The Trans Self-Care Workbook by Theo Lorenz
-The Genderquest Workbook by Deborah Coolhart
-The Body is Not and Apology by Sonya Renee Taylor
-Feminist AF: A Guide to Crushing Girlhood
-Life Isn't Binary: On Being Both, Beyond, and In-Between, by Meg-John Barker and Alex Iantaffi

Fiction:

-Witch Boy by Molly Ostertag (I like how this both shows queer and trans identities and offers magic related plot lines that deal with identity struggles and family expectations)
-Mariko Tamaki's books in general
-Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell contains some of the most realistic depictions of trying to escape an abusive adult AND of teen sexual desire I've seen.
Gigi976

Unread post by Gigi976 »

Thank you-this list is amazing! I am excited to read these for my own self. :) Also very cool recommendation with " Witch Boy". We have a pretty good sized gamer community, which intersects deeply with our LGBTQIA community. So I love recommendations for books like that. I really appreciate your help!
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

You're so very welcome! And hopefully a few other folks will have some they can add here so you can make this section even more awesome.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic