Can I take Yasmin with Amoxicillin tablets?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Juliaho90
not a newbie
Pronouns: She

Can I take Yasmin with Amoxicillin tablets?

Unread post by Juliaho90 »

I was just prescribed amoxicillin tablets, I wonder if I can take that with my Yasmin pills? I forgot to ask at the clinic and now they are closed. Are there any known interactions?

Thanks
Elise
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer

Re: Can I take Yasmin with Amoxicillin tablets?

Unread post by Elise »

Hi Juliaho90, whilst it is best to ask at the clinic about the interaction between all your medications, current research seems to indicate that amoxicillin, and most other common antibiotics don't interact with birth control for most people. You can read more about this here: Something You Can Worry About Less: Interference and Hormonal Birth Control. If the illness you are treating with the antibiotics is causing you to vomit or have diarrhea, your body may not absorb your pill completely, so you should use a backup method during and for at least one week after your symptoms subside.

If you want to be extra safe, you can use a condom as backup whilst taking the antibiotics and for a week after (which from your previous posts you already do, so continue to do that). This also helps as if your body is fighting an infection, as during this time your body is more susceptible to STIs.
Juliaho90
not a newbie
Pronouns: She

Unread post by Juliaho90 »

Thank you I will probably not be having sex this month or even longer as I hurt my hand pretty badly today, hence the antibiotics

I am supposed to have my withdrawal bleed today too. I see some brown discharge as per normal when my withdrawal bleed is here but it kinda stopped?

My guess would be that my body is focusing on healing that wound on my hand and not the withdrawal bleed?
Carly
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by Carly »

Hey Juliaho90 -- Because you're supposed to start it today, I would give it another day to determine if your discharge has actually stopped or your withdrawal bleed is affected somehow, just to be sure.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic