How effective are condoms?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Juliaho90
not a newbie
Pronouns: She

How effective are condoms?

Unread post by Juliaho90 »

I see that condoms with perfect use is 98% effective. Assuming condom was on from the start, and after sex, after withdrawal from the vagina, there is no leakage, everything is contained in the condom itself and no slippage, does that mean that it is still 98% effective? Or for this one episode of sex, it can go up to 100% since nothing was dripping out?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: How effective are condoms?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Juliaho90,

Birth control effectiveness rates are figured over the course of a year. Which means that for any given instance of sex, a method (including a condom) can be 100% effective at preventing pregnancy. As long as a condom doesn't break or come off, you can assume it did what it was supposed to do.
Juliaho90
not a newbie

Ok thank you!

Also another question. I am currently on my combined contraceptive pills and my last pill will be on Tuesday. I take 21 pills and no pills for 7 days. And we always use condoms for sex.

I am planning to meet my partner on Friday and most likely will have sex. My withdrawal bleed always come on a Saturday, so 4 days after my last pill on Tuesday. If I get my withdrawal bleed on Saturday, does it means I am not pregnant from sex on Friday? Or do I need to wait for the next cycle to find out?
Urna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English

Unread post by Urna »

Hello Juliaho90,

You're fully protected throughout period week, when you're having your withdrawal bleed. Since you've been regular with your pills this month, and will be regular with them next month, no pregnancy is possible. In addition to that, you have condoms! So that's a double layer of protection. You're good!
<3333
Juliaho90
not a newbie

Thank you!

I also assume that having sex (and not getting pregnant) doesn’t affect the withdrawal bleed cycle right? For the 1.5 years I have been taking my combined contraceptive pills, I always have my withdrawal bleed on the 4th day after my last pill. Does having sex affect the day of my withdrawal bleed assuming I am not pregnant?

I have only recently started having sex hence all these questions! Hope that’s ok
Carly
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by Carly »

Hi Juliaho90! No worries at all, we're here to help and happy to answer anything.

Having sex can't effect your withdrawal bleeding any more than it can your period unless you're pregnant.
Juliaho90
not a newbie

Thanks!

Since I am taking Yasmin, it comes in a 21-pill package, can I confirm that all pills contain the same amount of hormones because it is monophasic? So it should not matter which pill from the pack I start taking first, whether it’s from the right to left, or left to right, or if I start with a pill form the middle row since they all contain the same amount of hormones?
Urna
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Urna »

That's right, it doesn't matter.
<3333
Juliaho90
not a newbie

Thanks!

And with withdrawal bleeds, is it normal or possible for it to be late even though I’m not pregnant? Could it be late due to stress or anxiety? So far I haven been late and it’s always on time so I’m just wondering
Sam W
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

It is possible for a withdrawal bleed to be a little later or earlier than expected, because even though the pill regulates your cycle to a degree, our bodies are weird and won't always behave the exact same way month to month.
Juliaho90
not a newbie

Hi there,

I had sex twice with my partner today and both times there were dark brown blood/discharged when we are done. He wiped the condom with tissue and confirmed it was on the outside, coming from me. The condoms didn’t break both times. The stain or discharge is dark brown tint, more like old blood? I am not sure where this is from? Did I get injured from the sex? or could this be a spotting as I am expecting my withdrawal bleed tomorrow.
Juliaho90
not a newbie

Just wanted to add to the above that I have tried to pee and then wipe to see if there is still blood but now it has disappeared, not a tint can be seen. Also not feeling any pain there. So perhaps it seems like a spotting
Emily N
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to cook!
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: pansexual

Unread post by Emily N »

Hi Juliaho90,

To me, it also seems like it could be spotting or residual blood if you've had your period recently. (Sometimes sex also causes small abrasions in the vagina -f you are worried about this, we can talk more about it!) If you aren't experiences pain or other physical symptoms and the bleeding isn't heavy, it doesn't seem like too much cause for concern :) But you can always check back in if anything changes!
Juliaho90
not a newbie

Hi Emily,

The bleeding has stopped now, it only lasted for a few mins after sex and we realised it when we were cleaning up. I didn’t have my withdrawal bleed recently/yet as that is supposed to happen tomorrow. How can I prevent these abrasions from happening?
Emily N
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to cook!
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: pansexual

Unread post by Emily N »

Lube is a wonderful resource for making sure that the vulva and vagina are protected! It also helps reduce the chance of the condom breaking. It’s also helpful to communicate with your partner if sex feels painful or uncomfortable - this is a great indicator to try slowing down or trying something different!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic