Fantasies and crushes on fictional characters?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
neontiger
Awesomeness Quotient: i still remember the pokerap
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: nonbinary gay man

Fantasies and crushes on fictional characters?

Unread post by neontiger »

So I'd like to preface this post with the obligatory disclaimer that I'm an adult and in a committed (long distance) relationship for 5 years now. I've had some pretty intense crushes on fictional characters over the years, and some are even involved in my fantasies. My boyfriend is 100% okay with this, and none of them could ever replace them, + he sometimes has these feelings about characters too and considers it normal. However I don't feel normal and I want to know why this happens, so many of the characters are monsters or aliens (think the Predator, or, to get weirder, Moltar from Space Ghost Coast to Coast) but I'd never do anything sexually with one if they were real, they're just fantasies. I've been told this is relatively normal and just a kink but I want answers from someone experienced with sex ed and these types of things, whether it's something to be worried about. I feel like if I get an answer I'll be a lot more comfortable with myself.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Fantasies and crushes on fictional characters?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi neontiger,

There's not really a "normal" when it comes to things like sexual fantasies; what we each like and dislike is super variable, and lots of people have at least some fantasies that they would never engage in, even if given the chance. So even if you were the only person to have these sorts of fantasies, there wouldn't be anything wrong with that.

That being said, I actually did research into this exact thing for an article pitch last year! There are lots of people out there who have sexual fantasies involving monsters and aliens, so you're certainly not alone in these fantasies.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic