Iʻm embarrassed because I think I have vaginismus

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
DesSam
Awesomeness Quotient: my curiosity
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: donʻt know yet

Iʻm embarrassed because I think I have vaginismus

Unread post by DesSam »

I think I have vaginismus because Iʻm super tight even when Iʻm just using a tampon or am having sex. I was with a guy when he could barely put it in me even though I was turned on and felt really into it, this was super embarrassing and awkward between us. He just pulled out and finished on my chest, it felt really embarrassing I guess. Iʻve researched about vaginismus and it seems pretty spot on to what I have, is there a way to loosen up??
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Iʻm embarrassed because I think I have vaginismus

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi DesSam,

While vaginismus can certainly be frustrating (and painful), it's nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about; it's just one of the many ways our bodies can behave. Do you feel like the embarrassment is coming mainly from you, or from how this last partner reacted?

If you've researched vaginismus and thing it matches with what you're experiencing, have you spoken to an OB-GYN about it?
DesSam
Awesomeness Quotient: my curiosity
Sexual identity: donʻt know yet

Unread post by DesSam »

Hey Sam,
I was embarrassed with how awkward it was with my last partner, he seemed unsure of what to do. I know there are other ways to be intimate but in the moment it was frustrating that I couldnʻt do something I wanted. I have an appointment about it coming up soon.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Unfortunately, a lot of cisgender guys don't know what to do when there's anything to do with vaginas that isn't just inserting something easily. That's not on you, that's on them (and on things like their parents and schools not giving them decent sex ed). The truth is that even when someone doesn't have vaginismus, making intercourse or other vulvovaginal kinds of sexual activities comfortable and pleasurable for the people with those parts is outside the wheelhouse of a lot of people.

I'd also add that a lot of people have the idea that not knowing what to do with anything sexual is somehow shameful, even though it's not. We're often having to ask a lot of questions of partners, look things up, experiment and explore if we really want to have sex that's good for everybody. There's no shame in anyone not knowing things, you know?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic