Vaginal bleeding - is medical attention needed?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Juliaho90
not a newbie
Pronouns: She

Vaginal bleeding - is medical attention needed?

Unread post by Juliaho90 »

Hello.

I was intimate with my partner on Sunday, we made out as usual but strictly no vaginal intercourse. We had only gave each other a hand job and that’s about it. When it ended, I went to the restroom to shower and I realised that my vagina was bleeding slightly. It was not a heavy flow period kind of bleed but it bled when I wiped and the bleeding gradually got lesser and lesser. It is more of a spotting I would say. The blood is more brownish in colour. There is still a bit of spotting today(Monday, 1 day after the incident), the same dark brown colour blood.

I wonder what’s the cause of it? Is it due to the fingering that might have been too rough and caused the vagina skin to tear? I researched and it says it’s usually normal and no medical attention needed.

Also I must add that I am on the Yasmin pill, I have taken my pills mostly during the same time frame (within 3 to 4 hours) of when I usually take it (10am).

Could the bleeding be due to the pills? Or the fingering? I previously had no spotting with the pill and eveything was fine prior to the intimacy.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Vaginal bleeding - is medical attention needed?

Unread post by Heather »

Hey there, Julia.

Were you using lubricant with this? And did your partner, if he wasn’t wearing gloves, also make sure their nails and cuticles weren’t sharp or ragged?

Any pain or cramping?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Juliaho90
not a newbie

Hi Heather,

No lubricant used as we were already naturally quite wet. His nails weren’t extremely sharp, just slightly long. No pain or cramping experienced so far.

Thanks!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

So, sounds super-likely this was about abrasion that happened from the manual sex. And all there is to do about that is take a break from vaginal sex of any kind until the spotting stops.

In the future, it’s best for nails to be short and smooth AND to use lube, even if you feel wet. Our own lubrication just isn’t as good for high-friction activity like this. Using a latex glove is also a way to get a smoother surface and protect your vagina from abrasions due to fingernails.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Juliaho90
not a newbie

Thanks Heather! We’ll take note in future.

Also, today I forgot to take my Yasmin pill until now, which is 7pm. I usually take it at 10am, so I am about 9 hours late. Is that still ok? Is there any issue of say someone accidentally forgot and took 2 tablets in a day instead of 1?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Juliaho90,

With a combination pill like Yasmin, you have a twelve hour grace period before the pill is even considered late, so you do not need to take a second pill, just continue taking your pack as normal.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic