Bump in top of vagina? Is this normal?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
freynyx
Pronouns: he/him or ne/nym
Sexual identity: pansexual, asexual

Bump in top of vagina? Is this normal?

Unread post by freynyx »

Googling and family members I've asked about this haven't been super helpful (but one does have the same issue), so I guess I'll ask here. When I insert a finger into my vagina, I can feel almost a sort of hard ridge/bulge something coming down from the top of my vagina, right in the center? It's sort of sensitive and also tapers off towards the back, it's not quite protruding out of the entrance but it feels like it's very close to the entrance. Is this normal, or something I should go see a gynecologist about? It makes me feel very anxious about penetration. Thanks in advance for any answers.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Bump in top of vagina? Is this normal?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Freynyx,

We can't say for certain what it might be, but sometimes when you put your finger inside your vagina, towards your belly, not your back, you may feel a spongy area that is a bit like the roof of your mouth in texture and is somewhat sensitive. This is called your G-spot. Does that sound at all like the bump you've noticed?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Another likely possibility: did that bump feel like it had a little indent in the middle, like an indented chin? If so, that’s your cervix.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
freynyx

Unread post by freynyx »

Hi, the bump did feel somewhat spongy over the hardness, I think that might be it. I am pretty sure it's not my cervix as it's so close to the entrance, it doesn't seem like it would make sense for it to be my cervix. Thank you!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

During certain phases of the fertility cycle, the cervix can be really close to the vaginal opening. However, the cervix is smooth, rather than spongy, so I agree sounds more likely to be the urethral sponge/g-spot than your cervix!

Do you still have concerns about this?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
freynyx

Unread post by freynyx »

Can't believe I forgot about this for over a year. I was actually going to create a new post before seeing I'd already posted this.
Still concerned, here's further info I either forgot to include, didn't know yet, or didn't realize was relevant:
Anything (especially anything larger than a tampon/one finger) inserted makes me feel like I have to pee. Like, burning, painful, held-it-in-too-long type of have to pee. I kind of just assumed this was normal at first but after a couple years of dealing with it and no strategies making it go away I am concerned.
When I brought this up to a family member recently, she advised me to go around/under the bump, after some confusion we drew some crude diagrams and realized my bump pretty much leaves NO room for anything to go in without putting pressure on it and also goes further back than hers. Kinda like the shape of capital M, if that makes sense. Since it's pretty hard/firm it also doesn't really move out of the way.
There is a tiny bit of space on either side but that's it and I'm pretty sure it's not enough for a tampon.
Tampons also make me feel like I have to pee more especially when inserting/removing, and when I pee with one inserted the pee feels... Definitely not blocked but it feels different coming out, like it's slowed down a very tiny bit. But I'm not sure if that's just me imagining things.
I am seeing a gynecologist at some point soon, not sure when, but I figure it can't hurt to ask questions in the meantime and bring it up to her when I finally get an appointment.
Nicole
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: EN, ES, RU, UA
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Nicole »

Hi freynyx,
I am so sorry that you still have this issue. I think it is extremely important to see a gynecologist since we are not medical professionals and there are limits to how we can assist you. I think that seeing a gynecologist after experiencing this for so long is definitely what needs to be done. Please let us know if you have any other questions!
4FellowJovi
Pronouns: She/her

Unread post by 4FellowJovi »

Hi freynyx,
Do you have an update on this? I am experiencing the same issue and gynecologist have been little to no help.
Nicole
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: EN, ES, RU, UA
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Nicole »

Hi 4FellowJovi,

This thread is quite old so I'm not entirely sure if this user will be able to see your response. Is there anything we can do to help you with this? You're welcome to write your own post about your situation and we can definitely move forward from there.
hypochbaby

Unread post by hypochbaby »

hey! if you have figured out what this is, please update! i literally have the same thing and i'm dying to know what it is :)
Carly
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by Carly »

Hey hypochbaby -- it looks like the user that started this thread hasn't returned in quite some time, so I'm not sure if he can answer your question. We'd like to keep it a place that he can return to easily if need be, so I don't want to start a tangent here between us. You're welcome to start your own thread and we can talk about what you're experiencing there. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic