Confused and Scared

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
pinkpuppy
Pronouns: she/her

Confused and Scared

Unread post by pinkpuppy »

So I'm 14 years old and recently discovered the different sexualities and sexual orientations there are. Because of that I started wondering about myself. I think I'm equally unattracted to all genders, but maybe I'm just too young to feel that way? I don't really get 'crushes', more like a longing to be someone's friend (not significant other). A few months ago I made a Trevor Space account and started to talking to people on there, until my parents found out. I got in huge trouble, grounded and everything for talking to strangers online. They said that if I need to talk to someone i should talk to them because all those 'friends ' I made were predators. About the sexuality thing, they said that 'There weren't as many labels when we were younger' and 'You're too young to know about these things '. I've been trying to figure out myself but I'm so confused! And I'm terrified how my family and friends would react to all this.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Confused and Scared

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi pinkpuppy,

I'm so sorry your parents reacted like that, and that their reaction is making you even more nervous about your identity. Are you taking steps so that your parents are less likely to find the account you've made here?

It's absolutely okay to be questioning your sexual orientation, or to feel like you're not quite certain what, if any, label applies to you. In fact, we have a whole series that talks about that experience: The Answers (for Now). Are there particular identities that you've learned about that struck a chord with you, where you read the description and went "huh, I think that might apply to me?"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic