Does water denature latex?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Thea Kat
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm a cat whisperer
Primary language: English, French
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual

Does water denature latex?

Unread post by Thea Kat »

Hey,
This is mostly just because I'm super curious and want to make sure that I don't have any false beliefs...
My partner was told in high school that "water denatures latex" and thus that you shouldn't use latex condoms in wet environments, for example the shower. I can think of a few reasons why using condoms in the shower might not be the best idea (for example, in my experience constant running water can easily wash away your lube, which could leave you with friction and increased possibility of breakage/tearing). However, I scoured the internet (including Scarleteen's Condom Basics article) and my school library and couldn't find anything about an adverse effect of the water on the latex condom itself. Plus, water-based lubricant and vaginal secretions/saliva, both of which are totally fine to get on condoms, have lots of water... so the idea that "water denatures latex" doesn't totally make sense to me.
Does anyone here know if water does something to the integrity of the latex/the seal of the condom? Or is that just a myth?
If it is a real thing, I would love it if you could post a link or reference so I know where to look in case anyone else I know is wondering :)
Thanks!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Does water denature latex?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Thea Kat,

Nope, there's nothing about water that will automatically damage a condom. As you pointed out, the bigger concerns when using a condom in the shower are it washing away your lube too fast or making it slipperier (in a bad way) when trying to get the dang thing on. There is some risk to the condom if someone is in a body of water like a hot tub, but that has to do with the high temperature and the chemicals that might be in the water, rather than with water itself.
Thea Kat
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm a cat whisperer
Primary language: English, French
Sexual identity: bisexual

Unread post by Thea Kat »

Awesome, thank you so much for clearing that up! That makes sense.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic