Periods

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
indi1578
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight

Periods

Unread post by indi1578 »

Hi, I got my first period about 5 months ago but it has been very inconsistent and not at all a heavy flow. Sometimes it no flow at all its just brown discharge. Is this normal?
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Re: Periods

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi Indi!

Yep, it's very common, especially if you don't have a heavy flow for 'brown discharge' to show up.

Actually that's just what blood looks like after a while; the iron in the period oxidises and results in the brownish colour.

Lots of people also have a varied or inconsistent periods and it isn't a problem. I'd guess that as you're only a few months in it might take a while to work out what the routine is for your body and your cycle. You might actually start noticing patterns or the irregularity might settle into a more regular groove, or not. Either way there isn't one 'normal'.

Have you recorded any dates of when different parts of your cycle happened? Keeping a diary of such things can be a really useful way to start noticing what is going on!
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic