How to change timing of Yasmin pills?

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
Juliaho90
not a newbie
Pronouns: She

How to change timing of Yasmin pills?

Unread post by Juliaho90 »

Hello.

I have managed to refill my Yasmin pills and I have just gotten my period (first day) today. I took the first pill today at 3pm as my period came in the afternoon.

However my preference is to take the pills in the morning when I get up. How do I go about changing the timing of the pills because I was told I should take it the same time Everyday.

I think Yasmin considered a combined pill? Not sure if I can change the timing by taking the pill anytime I want the next day?
Ruby S
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I make a mean grilled cheese.
Primary language: English + ASL.
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer!

Re: How to change timing of Yasmin pills?

Unread post by Ruby S »

Hi there!

Our article about the combined pill, Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill), says "If you don't take it at exactly the same time -- but still take it on the day you're supposed to -- that won't make your pills ineffective: it's just a safer bet to take it around the same time to keep you in the habit to reduce the risk of you spacing out a pill on any given day...If you want to be as close as you can to a perfect-use effectiveness rate, you'll want to try and take your pills within the same three-hour window each day."

So it sounds like you can pretty much start taking your Yasmin (which, yes, is a combined pill) at whatever time works for you the next day you need to take it! If you want to be really careful, you can do that by taking the pill within three hours of whatever time you took it the previous day. For example, if you take a pill at 3 pm, but want to change it to the morning, you could take one the next day at 1 pm, the next day's at 11 am, and the next day's at 9 am. It'll take a few days, but you'll get there!

Does that answer your question? :)
Juliaho90
not a newbie

Hello!

Just to make it easier, I wonder if I can just take the pills at 3pm for the rest of the pack for the full 21 days. And for the next pack after 7 days rest, I take the pill at 10am. Does that make sense?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

That would work just fine, if you wanted to do it that way.
Juliaho90
not a newbie

Thank you Mo!

And I assume having some spotting (dark brown) after stopping the pills for a while and taking them again is completely normal?
Alexa
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: i make the world's best pancakes!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her/ella
Sexual identity: queer, pansexual

Unread post by Alexa »

Hey there,

Spotting/irregularities in your menstrual cycle when going on and off a birth control pill is totally normal, yes. It should regulate over time!
Alexa K.
Scarleteen Team
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic