Brown Discharge After Sex

Brand-new? This is the place for your questions and discussions on any and all topics, with fellow users or staff, while you get your feet wet.
tiffanysb
Pronouns: She/Her

Brown Discharge After Sex

Unread post by tiffanysb »

Hello,
I have been going through an abnormal amount of stress for the months of April and May, and my last period was from March 26-30.
I’ve had sex with a condom with my partner every day from May 16-22, and again on May 26. After sex, we noticed blood on the sheets and when I wiped there was brown discharge. This discharge has continued since then (It’s been 4 days). I started cramping on May 27 and the 28). I wear a panty liner and after each day there is a bit of sticky brown discharge, and when I wipe after peeing there is also brown discharge on the toilet paper.
Me and my partner both don’t have STIs. I took a pregnancy test on May 28 and it came back as negative. It might be a coincidence that the blood happened the day I am supposed to get my period based on my last period date, and therefore I am worried if this is implantation bleeding, something related to stress, or maybe a vaginal tear.
Amanda F
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to go rock climbing outside!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: Brown Discharge After Sex

Unread post by Amanda F »

Hi tiffanysb, and welcome to the boards.

Your note about being under an abnormal amount of stress is important, as stress can indeed impact your menstrual cycle and even spotting between periods. Brown discharge may just be normal discharge with some blood in it, which isn't necessarily something to worry about.

If you used the test correctly according to the instructions (more on pregnancy tests), then you're not pregnant, and this discharge is likely related to your normal cycle in some way. Or, as you said, there could have been a small vaginal tear. Tears can be avoided with plenty of lubrication.
tiffanysb
Pronouns: She/Her

Unread post by tiffanysb »

Thanks for the quick reply! I was wondering what the symptoms of vaginal tears are? Are cramps a possibility? Also, I know that you should take a pregnancy test after you miss your period, but in my case since I missed last month's period, is it ok to assume that my period cycle dates from March (26-30) would signify that my period is late for this month? I have one more test and would like to know if taking it in a few days would give an accurate result.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi tiffanysb,

Vaginal tears usually have the same symptoms as tears on other tissue, such as pain or bleeding.

With the pregnancy test, you have to factor in both when your missed period was and how long it's been since the instance of vaginal sex that you think could have caused a pregnancy. As for this months period, it is possible you'll miss it or it will arrive later than expected. However, it's totally common for periods to arrive a few days earlier or later than expected, so you may find yours starts in the next few days.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic