Expect no/slow responses today

Board FAQs, help and general announcements about the boards for users.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Expect no/slow responses today

Unread post by Heather »

Hey, everyone:

I'm probably the only person who will be around Scarleteen today, and I'm afraid that after our election results last night (being reminded yet again of how much my country refuses to value women and gender-diverse people unless we're some man's handmaiden is just too much), some illness and a couple other things, I'm just not in the right headspace to be part of our direct services today.

So, my apologies, but expect services here to be slower over the next couple of days, and that you might need to wait for responses longer than usual. <3
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
0PT1M15T1C
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I can build things
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They/He
Sexual identity: I don't really know anymore

Re: Expect no/slow responses today

Unread post by 0PT1M15T1C »

I just want to say, I hope you feel better, and also I'm sorry about the election - although I don't fully understand it (Canada is different, we don't do it the same way, but you probably know about that, I'm still learning.) I'm a dual citizen, born in Nashville and this is frustrating for me as well, I didn't understand the impacts until Trump came into office, and I was old enough to understand the laws and bills coming into place around these sorts of things discussed so often at Scarleteen, it's truly a really sad thing to witness. Also, it's happening where I live, and that's terrifying to watch as someone is actively trying to take my rights away...

Even where I live, and I know you and I have touched on this, there's men like this doing things that really just send us backwards - they really are everywhere. Living with them in power is terrifying and I'm sorry.

I don't fully understand the full impacts of what happened in the primaries last night (specifically because the election is in November and I don't fully know what the primaries do other than select the candidates), but I wanted to say I wish the best for you and all the staff at Scarleteen - as well as anyone this may have impacted.

Oh yeah - I hope this is okay for me to like post this here? Not 100% sure, but I wanted to say it because this has been a place of support for me and it sucks to see this happen. If not, I'll watch it, but idk, I saw this and wanted to say that.
You have the power to say "This is not how my story will end".
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Thank you, I appreciate this. <3
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
cityofthedead
not a newbie
Pronouns: he/him

Unread post by cityofthedead »

It’s too bad we have a nihilist (for lack of a better word) as our president. It’s also too bad that people support and vote for him. I mean, I have a Trump-supporter in my own family. I will never let my grudge against him lift and once I go to college, I will break off all contact I have with him, social media and all. And here’s the thing: Because I’m a white male, he would spoil me rotten and treat me like his little angel. If I were black or/and a woman, he would engage in behavior towards me that would easily get him arrested.

I’m not posting just to be a “Trump grump”, so to speak. I just want to share how much I wish people of privilege weren’t so nihilistic, by which I mean devaluing and contempt for humanity. I prefer to hang around folks with less societal privilege than me because it keeps me alive. White people have been synonymous with impulsive, reckless, and destructive behavior throughout history and I want to be an exception to that for the safety of myself and everyone else in my life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic