Migraines and pills

Board FAQs, help and general announcements about the boards for users.
Tassha1223
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I am reliable
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Migraines and pills

Unread post by Tassha1223 »

Hi everyone!
So I have some confusion regarding migraines and birth control pills.
So first I heard that you’re at risk of a stroke if you have migraines and take pills containing estrogen. But then a new study says that it’s only migraine with aura. I also wanted to ask about how big the risk is of getting a stroke with a migraine?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Migraines and pills

Unread post by Heather »

A lot of the clinical information and study looks a lot like this one: https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiolog ... troke-risk

In a word, it points out that the available information on the risk of stroke, specifically -- and yep, only wit aura, not without -- is both conflicted and limited. So, we really can't say how big a risk it is.

But here's the thing: anyone prescribing you, or thinking about prescribing you, the pill should be informed if you have migraines (and then ask if they are with or without aura), and will take that into account, as well as other information that would concern any risks, in what they decide. If a physician has prescribed you oral contraceptives and you have given them all your health information, unless they aren't doing their jobs in the most basic way, they only will have prescribed you oral contraceptives that are safe for you or at the very least, where you will be safer from those risks than you would be with a pregnancy.

Does that make sense to you?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Tassha1223
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I am reliable
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Tassha1223 »

Hi sorry I may have accidentally posted my reply as a new post. The thing is, when I was prescribed birth control pills I didn’t really suffer from headaches as much. Now they usually occur when the weather changes and go away on their own. They are on one side of my head and aren’t very severe. They may just be headaches but I’m afraid that it may be a blood clot which is why I’m going to the doctor in hopes they’ll let me do a brain scan. But due to my young age I’m afraid they won’t take me seriously and I’m just not sure if my frequent headaches are dangerous.
Thank you!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Tassha,

I think it's sound to check in with a healthcare provider when you notice a new, on-going health issue. If you're concerned about them listening to you or taking what you say seriously, this article has some tools to help you talk to them: Dealing With Doctors: Taking Control of Your Health Care Destiny
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic