If You Could Invent A Sex Ed/LGBT "Subscription Box," What Would It Be?

If it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, this is probably the place for it.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

If You Could Invent A Sex Ed/LGBT "Subscription Box," What Would It Be?

Unread post by Sam W »

This came to me after a friend and I got riffing on the "Trans Guy Starter Pack" he wishes he could send his younger self. It would have,among other things, razors for when he started T and decent boxers.

That got me thinking about what other sex ed/LGBT boxes I would create and send out if I could. I know there are "first period" ones popping up, which I think is kind of fun (especially if it helps destigmatize menstruation or encourage parents and kids to talk about it before/when it starts).

I think mine might be like a starter sex ed box, with books on a certain topic along with a couple of fun swag bits each month. That or like a box for LGBTQ young people who are just coming out, complete with books and pins and maybe even letters of support from older members of the community.

How about y'all?
Luca
Awesomeness Quotient: I love art history!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: panromantic asexual

Re: If You Could Invent A Sex Ed/LGBT "Subscription Box," What Would It Be?

Unread post by Luca »

Hi Sam W,

Your mention of your friend considering his younger self made me think about what I would want to give my younger self.

I would want to give my younger self a collection of subscriptions to magazines that represent queer and gender non-conforming people, such as Them, ENBY, and Salty.

I imagine how happy it would have made me feel to flip through the photographs of diverse queer people. Perhaps seeing my own identity represented in this positive way would boost my self-confidence and inspire me to validate my gender presentation. Or at least give me a sense of kinship and brighten my day!

Thanks for your question! I enjoyed reflecting on this.
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: If You Could Invent A Sex Ed/LGBT "Subscription Box," What Would It Be?

Unread post by al »

I love this question too!

Mine would include many rainbow things like hankerchiefs and pins and stickers (and Skittles, because why not), as well as zines and books about queer activism and movements. And new resources/LBGTQ+ orgs every month.
Also, that photo book that you mentioned sounds amazing, Luca. I would love to see LGBTQ+ people of all ages and sizes and relationships and living situations all over the world, talking about what they're passionate about and what makes them feel happy to be alive.
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic