MSN Bot

If it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, this is probably the place for it.
IAmScared
not a newbie
Pronouns: He/Him/His

MSN Bot

Unread post by IAmScared »

Please answer this because it's VERY important to me,please,when I'm begging you

Does MSN bot collects posts that we write here on Scarleteen and saves it on MSN website/app?
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Re: MSN Bot

Unread post by Jacob »

Hiya!

Bots like this are basically the backbone of the modern search-engine-driven internet! They go through the internet collecting keywords and building a 'map' of what words or phrases are used on every website on the internet.

So if I search "Masturbation Scarleteen boards" in Bing, it'll give me links to the message boards where the word "masturbation" is probably the topic, because it's in the title, or used on that page a lot... Bing only knows this because of MSNbot.

It's worth remembering that if anyone, bot or not, really wanted to they could easily copy paste any of our words onto public online forums. This is why we ask that people don't share information like: address, email address, phone number, real name on here.

Honestly though, folks doing that are not really interested in us! Instead they're copying jokes from someone else's twitter profile and reposting them.
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
IAmScared
not a newbie

just one more question,it's very important to me.

what does it mean that bots "build a map" ?
IAmScared
not a newbie

Also,what's Baidu Spider?
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by al »

Hi IAmScared,

I'm not sure what your second question refers to, but I believe what Jacob meant when they said that it "builds a map" is that it makes a list of all the times that a given word or phrase (like "masturbation") shows up on posts, pages, and websites, and connects them all together.

I want to be mindful of the limit that was set on your other post about message boards and searchability, and encourage that we shift this conversation about what exactly is causing your anxiety around this topic. Would you like to share what's coming up for you in asking these questions and seeking reassurance?
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
IAmScared
not a newbie

what scares me is that bots are going to make my secret public
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Unread post by Siân »

We've already done all we can to reassure you on that, here and in your other thread. I get that you're feeling anxious about this, so what helps when you're feeling anxious and trapped in these worries?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic