Tampons 2.0

If it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, this is probably the place for it.
IAmScared
not a newbie
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Tampons 2.0

Unread post by IAmScared »

ok so I've been having mixed feelings about tampons for a while now from yeah go for it to i'm too tight for it and then maybe i'd try it again....and then i got my period couple od days ago.told mum to buy me tampons,she forbids me i'm 25. she says "you'll forget to take it out on time and get a toxic shock" which is not true.what do i say to her? Should I buy them without her knowing? But that's the thing,I had bad experiences so I want her to be there for me and to talk to me about it. Should I suggest like trying only once and then we both keep track of it (don't get me wrong i'd keep track of it but mum needs to be sure ahhhh) and see if things go ok,if it won't hurt to take it out this time and if i remember to take it out on time (which I will)?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Tampons 2.0

Unread post by Mo »

I think if you want to try them out, it would be all right to get some and do a trial run on your own. Having your mom keep track of the time you're wearing your tampon feels like a pretty big overstep on her part; if you do want to talk about this with her before you try it and she tries to insist on overseeing that part of things, maybe you can let her know you're setting a timer on your phone or another alarm source and see if she backs off from that.
You can absolutely handle using tampons safely, I am sure of it; I think if you want to give it a try then it's safe and reasonable to do so. It's all right if you'd rather not, for now, but you, not your mom, are going to be the best expert on whether now is a good time.
IAmScared
not a newbie
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Unread post by IAmScared »

Yeah,an alarm would be a good idea.

I talked to mum,but she is stubborn,she insists I would forget because I sometimes don't know the date or day and lose myself in time,because of my psychosis.But when I DID try it (twice) I kept the track of time.And this is not something I would forget,trust me on this one.But mum read an article online that says tampons are bad for women's health so she doesn't allow it. :(
She is such a good mother and I feel the need to listen to her,but I hate pads.ahh
Amanda F
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to go rock climbing outside!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Amanda F »

It sounds like your mom has good intentions - she wants you to be healthy. Part of being healthy as individuals is being able to make decisions about your body for yourself. Deciding how to handle your menstruation is a pretty personal decision; after all, you're the one who has to experience the bleeding.

Tampons aren't bad for your health as long as you use them correctly, which does include removing/changing them on time (about 4-8 hours after you insert one). If you want to be extra-careful, you can remove it after 4-6 hours. And just a reminder, because they don't tell you on the package: don't flush a tampon down the toilet! It can clog your septic system. Remove it and wrap it up in toilet paper, and put it in the trash.

I like Mo's suggestion of using an alarm (or even two) on your phone! If it's possible that you might forget or miss those alarms, you could also set one for the following day just to make sure that you removed your tampon.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic