Anything on autism for girls?

If it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, this is probably the place for it.
curehime
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Unsure

Anything on autism for girls?

Unread post by curehime »

Hey, I'm an autistic female. I've been trying to find stuff for relationships and autism but it's scarce and mainly aimed at guys. I'm just kinda desperate for some help at this point. Some tips or something would be nice.
Alice M
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: my boundaries
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bi/pan

Re: Anything on autism for girls?

Unread post by Alice M »

Hi curehime and welcome to Scarleteen! You have come to right place. We have a few pieces on navigating this here. I hope you find helpful information in any of these articles. Please let us know if you have any further questions or comments, or if you'd like to talk about any of this and how it relates to you.
Gone.Sorry.
not a newbie
Pronouns: required field

Re: Anything on autism for girls?

Unread post by Gone.Sorry. »

Welcome, curehime!

Amy Gravino is a woman with autism and an autism spectrum advocate. You might be interested in checking her out, specifically her public access videos, which do include the topics of sexuality and relationships.

I couldn't find any Ted Talks specifically about dating with autism, but if you look up Ted Talk videos about autism, you'll find a lot of talks by women! They might be worth checking out. Even if they're not specifically geared towards dating, that might be something briefly covered in the talk anyway.

I did find some interviews about what it was like to date as an autistic woman. They're not really guides, but you might find them useful anyway.
https://themighty.com/2018/08/dating-autistic-woman/
https://the-toast.net/2015/01/15/dating-while-autistic/
https://medium.com/@amandatendlers/dati ... a2579fe4df

Asperger's Syndrome and Sexuality: From Adolescence through Adulthood does sound like it's more geared towards men than women, but it's also geared towards teens, so it might be a useful resource. A lot of reviews do complain it's geared more towards clinicians than individuals with autism themselves, though, so it's one I would definitely try and get through your library/ILL/overdrive. (Also I've found libraries are really excited to get book recs. Whenever I made a rec for something I couldn't find in the library but wanted to read, I always saw it show up in my library a short while later.)

It doesn't look like Spectrum Women: Walking to the Beat of Autism specifically covers relationships and dating judging by the table of contents, but it's a book written by several autistic women with some great reviews, and you might find it helpful in general.

I hope some of these help you! There is an appalling lack of representation and resources available for autistic women compared to men. </3
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic