I want this party to go well!

If it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, this is probably the place for it.
iloveeveryone
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: being "emotional"
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: heterosexual

I want this party to go well!

Unread post by iloveeveryone »

Hi! Thank you.

In one week I will be meeting all of my old 10th grade class in a party! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone. But I need help with the social, actually meeting-people part of it. I don't know why I feel so, so nervous of talking to people right now and this is being a big problem in my current school!

I really want it to go well for me, which means I want to be not-shy enough to have good conversations. It should be a bit easier because I knew these people before not meeting anyone for two years because of COVID. But it would be very stimulating for me to meet another person every 5 seconds and be excited again, that would make it hard.

I don't even know what I'm asking, maybe I'm just venting. The actual solution to this would be to suddenly not be me!

Maybe I need to not have such high expectations because it is likely that I won't talk much and to the people I want to, although I will feel regretful after the event if that happens.

Are there any tips or help you can give me, to handle this event and the feelings that might come afterward?

Also, last thing related to this whole situation, how wise would it be to text to an old friend from this class, that I will meet at the party, that I dreamed about kissing him? Not wise, right. I just wanted him to know that but I guess it's a bad idea. I've had this idea before, of telling people I'm attracted to, in a sort of nonchalant way, just to boost their self-esteem or something.
<3 <3 <3
Sofi
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I make my own nail art!
Primary language: Spanish or English
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: I want this party to go well!

Unread post by Sofi »

Hi iloveeveryone, how exciting! At the same time, I can see how it can be overwhelming, too. Do you have someone in that class that you're closer to, that you could stick with? That might help both feel less like you need to talk to a lot of people, but also could help you talk to more people since it's two of you together. Social interactions (in person) can feel really awkward after two years of not having many, but it might help to realize that a lot of your classmates are probably feeling the same way! So use that to your advantage and approach as many people as you feel comfortable with. If you start to feel overwhelmed, it's okay to step away and perhaps use the restroom as an excuse to just get some alone time.

As for the friend from class, it's not necessarily a bad idea, if you want to express your feelings to him then only you know what the right move is for yourself!
iloveeveryone
not a newbie

Thank you so much!
Yes, I do have people like that, I think that would make me feel less overwhelmed.
But I really don't think my other old classmates feel awkward! They just seem happy to see each other and very talkative, and that makes me feel different and weird a lot of times, in my new school, because I feel so shy to talk. I guess I need to not feel bad about how I'm being, but I hope it's temporary.
<3 <3 <3
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi iloveeveryone,

I'm glad you have people you can stick close to to make the party less overwhelming!

You know, when you see those talkative people, it can help to remember that even if a lot of them aren't in the same boat you are, plenty of them were at some point; social skills, including navigating parties, is something a lot of us have to learn how to do. So in addition to going to a fun party, you're getting in that practice!
iloveeveryone
not a newbie

Yes, that's true! Thank you!!!
<3 <3 <3
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic