The joy of small projects

If it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, this is probably the place for it.
Elise
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer

The joy of small projects

Unread post by Elise »

Recently I set myself a goal of relearning how to ride a bike, which for me was a short term (achievable in a short timeframe as I knew how as a child) but also would be significant as it was something that would have an actual impact on my life.

Having done this, I realised how useful it was to have a short term project I could improve on in a short timeframe for my mental health, being able to chip away at something that I could get gratification on my progress each week was really great and helped me deal with a great deal of stress I was experiencing at work.

Has anyone here has a similar experience, have ideas for things they can try? I think this is why I also enjoy cross stitch and knitting, as any small progress is visible and satisfying whilst also having a defined end 😊
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: The joy of small projects

Unread post by Mo »

My mind immediately went to my knitting and handspinning projects! I can see my progress after every time I sit down to work on them, and when I'm done I have a lovely finished object. I started a new spinning project last night and I've been looking forward to working on it all day.
I write a lot of short fiction, too, and finishing a piece is always very rewarding.
Nicole
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: EN, ES, RU, UA
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: The joy of small projects

Unread post by Nicole »

I had the same thought process as Mo! I used to knit and I really enjoyed how productive and relaxing it was. It was easy to multitask while I would knit, like watching TV or reading books. It made me feel less guilty about “wasting” my time, if that makes sense. Other than that, I play a number of instruments and often find myself fixating on one instrument at a time. I love learning my favorite songs and playing them for my friends.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic