The Sex Talk

Questions and discussion about sex and sexuality in political or community beliefs, principles, actions, policies, experiences, messages and media.
RadiantRay
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make sex positive/NSFW embroidery hoops
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Female, LGBTQ

The Sex Talk

Unread post by RadiantRay »

Did you get a formal sex talk from parents/adults/schooling? What is something you wish you had learned?

Personally, I wish I would've been taught about sex beyond penis-in-vagina. I grew up in an abstinence only house, where even masturbation was frowned upon. There was a lot of information I missed out on, especially regarding health and safety.
Amanda F
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to go rock climbing outside!
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: The Sex Talk

Unread post by Amanda F »

Great question, RadiantRay!

I did get some formal education, but it was basically all about pregnancy and STI prevention. There was nothing about pleasure, either via masturbation or with a partner. I wish I had learned more about how different bodies can experience pleasure, and how to ask for what I want.

I like your framing of sex beyond penis-in-vagina! The PIV framework is very heteronormative - and often it's not the most pleasurable approach for the person with the vagina, compared to other acts. Sex can be so much more than just intercourse!

What piece(s) of education would you share with people? What should everyone know?
RadiantRay
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make sex positive/NSFW embroidery hoops
Sexual identity: Female, LGBTQ

Re: The Sex Talk

Unread post by RadiantRay »

My sex talk was quite literally "the man puts his penis inside the woman's vagina. But wait until marriage" and then I asked if you kiss during hahah. Definitely not helpful in terms of anatomy, emotions, health, etc. I wish I would've been taught that sex can occur with different genders and genitalia.
My school essentially taught with scare tactics. It was abstinence-only and they showed pictures of various STD's as the reason to not have sex. Overall pretty disappointing and I learned largely from the internet.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic