Queer Sci-fi Novels - Wayfarers etc

Questions and discussion about sex and sexuality in political or community beliefs, principles, actions, policies, experiences, messages and media.
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Queer Sci-fi Novels - Wayfarers etc

Unread post by Jacob »

Hey!

So I don't think we've had many bookposts for while, here's mine: I recently got into reading more scifi... authors like Octavia Butler, Ursela Le Guin, etc

One of my favourites was Woman on the Edge of Time by Marge Piercy

I also just chomped through Becky Chambers' first three novels (the wayfarer series) and absolutely loved them:
  • A long way to a small angry planet
  • A closed and common orbit
  • Record of a spaceborn few
I loved all three, they all had so much heart and touched me emotionally. They were also really easy to read and follow.

She found ways to talk about complex topics through characters that feel so real to me and who feel really queer... there's a theme of characters who have been outsiders to various environments coming together to support each other and do good, and I love it.
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Re: Queer Sci-fi Novels - Wayfarers etc

Unread post by Siân »

I am SO EXCITED to read the third Wayfarer novel, I practically inhaled the first two - I loved how she approached such emotionally complex subjects with a real honest simplicity in her writing.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

I also need to read that third Wayfarer book! I adore the first two. I haven't been reading as much lately as I usually do, sadly, but I wholeheartedly recommend Ann Leckie's Imperial Radch series (Ancillary Justice, Ancillary Mercy, & Ancillary Sword). The series does some interesting stuff with gender, AI, and embodiment, plus there is a lot of tea.
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

I gotta try Imperial Radch

Also I didn't really get the exodus fleet... and was relatively nonplussed about humans (because aliens are cool)... until the third book and it is so worth it you guys, I think it's the book I think about the most in that series!

Currently I am reading Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi... I am only on chapter two but I think I am going to <3 it.

(actually most of the time I say reading its audiobooks... Might be good for you Mo if your reading brain is feeling sluggish)...
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Siân
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Siân »

Mo - the Imperial Radch series is also one of my absolute top sci-fi recommendations these days! Love your taste.

If you're open to a bit of fantasy have either of you read the Broken Earth trilogy by N.K.Jemisin? A friend suggested it for me recently and I was enthralled. It explores themes of otherness and oppression, has a really cool kind of magic and is full of well-rounded characters who just happen to be queer.
Hel
not a newbie
Pronouns: Any

Unread post by Hel »

I have a book recommendation: Aurora Rising. There are a few queer characters, and the book is a science fiction for teens/young adults (but I think most people who are into sci-fi and fantasy would like it) and it is described as 'The Breakfast Club meets Guardians of the Galaxy'. It's one of my new favorite books! Aurora Rising and Aurora Burning are the first two books, and the third book in the series is being released in May 2021. Hope you guys like it!
ccade
Pronouns: they/he
Sexual identity: asexual

Unread post by ccade »

These are such good suggestions, I definitely need to check out the Wayfarer series. I wanted to second the recommendations of Anne Leckie's Imperial Radch series (one of my favs!!) as well as NK Jemisin's Broken Earth trilogy and add the recs of Nnedi Okorafor's books and This is How You Lose the Time War by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone. I recently have been reading short stories in Uncanny Magazine (online), its full of queer sci-fi and fantasy stories =)
Siân
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Siân »

OMG OMG OMG Broken Earth and Time War are both just *heart-eyes*

I've only read Who Fears Death from Okorafor, but this is a good reminder to pick her up again :)
ccade
Pronouns: they/he
Sexual identity: asexual

Unread post by ccade »

Right?! both Broken Earth and This is How You Lose the Time War have really stuck with me, I think about them a lot.

Okorafor's Binti novella series is really great! I've been hearing good things about her new book Remote Control but I have not read it yet =)
bikinksterboy
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my willingness to try essentially anything
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: bisexual

Unread post by bikinksterboy »

I've heard Gideon The Ninth by NK Jemisin is fairly queer but I may be confusing it with another book
bikinksterboy
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my willingness to try essentially anything
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: bisexual

Unread post by bikinksterboy »

OMG it's by Tamsyn Muir and not NK Jemisin I'm so embarrassed sorry!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic