hearing "I knew it/I know" when coming out

Questions and discussion about sex and sexuality in political or community beliefs, principles, actions, policies, experiences, messages and media.
videocassette
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she / her
Sexual identity: lesbian

hearing "I knew it/I know" when coming out

Unread post by videocassette »

Anyone else feel annoyed when celebrities come out and there's people who react by saying along the lines "I knew it!"? Like I get it, but it just seems like they only wanted that person to come out just to be proven right. That type of reaction doesn't come off as support to me.
Alice O
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at taking naps.
Primary language: Engish
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: hetero

Re: hearing "I knew it/I know" when coming out

Unread post by Alice O »

Totally get that! Also I feel like claiming you "knew" someone's sexual orientation before they shared it is not ideal...obviously more appropriate with a celeb than with someone in your personal life, but still applies. Especially because it's usually based in assumptions about gender and sexuality, like if a man (celeb or not) acts like X or does Y he must be gay.
witchesrus
Awesomeness Quotient: I love my creativity!
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Bi

Unread post by witchesrus »

Same, alice and videocassette.

I also feel like when people say "i knew it/I know" when folks come out, it ignores how real fluidity is. Some folks come out who have known their identity for a long time, or since they were really young, and that is not everyone's story. It strengthens this idea that if you didn't know "since forever" that it's less valid. Not supportive on many levels!
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

It's a response that treats someone else's sexual orientation as a puzzle to solve and then lets someone pat themself on the back for "figuring it out" before other people did, like they're making it all about them instead of the person who's coming out.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic