Representation in Media

Questions and discussion about sex and sexuality in political or community beliefs, principles, actions, policies, experiences, messages and media.
Valerie J
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: Queer and/or nonbinary lesbian

Representation in Media

Unread post by Valerie J »

These days, more and more TV shows and movies are showing positive representations of sexuality and gender expression. Shows tackle all sorts of issues regarding sexual health and relationships.

What shows or characters have resonated with you recently? Have there been moments where you've felt representation has changed your own experience with gender or sexuality? Has any media helped you navigate more difficult conversations with those around you?

For me, I've recenetly been obsessed with the show Zoey's Extrodinary Playlist - Specifically the character Mo played by Alex Newell. Mo is genderfluid and the show spends a great deal of time discussing that and discussing how Mo's religion intersects with his gender identity. Mo is a vision and Alex Newell's voice is from the HEAVENS. But more importantly, watching this show with my family has given me great opportunity to discuss issues of gender identity with my more religious family. I'm very thankful for this show!

Has anything resonated with you lately? A reminder, this is not exclusive to the LGBTQ+ community! Any time you've felt represented on screen or enjoyed the way a relationship has been portrayed counts!