If You're Celebrating Pride, How are You Celebrating It?

Questions and discussion about your sexuality and how it's a part of who you are as a person.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

If You're Celebrating Pride, How are You Celebrating It?

Unread post by Sam W »

Happy Pride Month everyone!

As someone who a) isn't keen on crowds and b)lives an hour away from the nearest major city, I'm trying to come up with some different ways to celebrate Pride. One basic one is that I'm going to add more rainbow decorations to the house (we already have a flag). Our town is small and fairly conservative, and we've heard first hand from other queer and trans folks living here that seeing the flag made them feel less alone. So, more rainbows it is, at least for this month.

I also haven't given up on hosting some sort of small pride celebration in town (think get-together rather than parade) just to get a chance to meet other queer folks and eat some tasty food.

How about y'all? Are you a parades and parties person? A DIY celebration fan? Something else?
thewrit3r
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I’m pretty smart
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Re: If You're Celebrating Pride, How are You Celebrating It?

Unread post by thewrit3r »

My town is fairly conservative as well so I have no idea what’s happening publicly, but I follow a local LGBT group on Facebook and they list local events; I’ll see if they’re doing anything.

This is really minor and not a large crowd type of celebration, but I’d really like to get a bisexual flag to hang up somewhere in my room :) Any suggestions on where to find them? I figured stores have them but I’ve never actually looked before so I don’t know where to start
"The writer is by nature a dreamer - a conscious dreamer."
-Carson McCullers
bikinksterboy
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my willingness to try essentially anything
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: bisexual

Unread post by bikinksterboy »

I happen to live in a big city that has the biggest pride celebration, being that it's the place where it all started 50 years ago at Stonewall, but I'm not big on crowds and I still have some anxiety about it. My partner likely won't be able to go with me, which is a downer. But if I can I'll absolutely go on my own, as being now out to my parents and friends I feel like expressing it IRL and not just online would be a nice step! I'd also like to get some more flags and other such paraphernalia, considering getting color coordinated clothing so I can be a walking bi flag! even if I end up not going to the big marches or anything, I'm trying to spread goodwill throughout the online communities I'm a part of and considering sprucing up my home a little for the occasion
bikinksterboy
not a newbie

I did go on my own and it was great!!! I just got some bi pride D20 pins to slap on to my backpack and I have that big one that says "oh my god everyone is so hot" in bi pride colors on my messenger bag. Also got a little rainbow flag but that has since deteriorated.
bikinksterboy
not a newbie

kinda bummed thinking about how there probably won't be a pride this year :(
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi bikinksterboy,

That's definitely something I've seen more people expressing lately, and I know some cities are already making plans to basically cancel and reschedule pride celebrations. I think it's a bummer too (in part because pride celebrations have been really hard-won in some places).

That being said, there are a few things I've been thinking about to help me prepare for the possibility of canceled pride stuff. One is thinking of ways I can celebrate it in my tiny, social distancing household (this is the year we put up even more rainbows), or ways I can celebrate it on a smaller scale if people are able to safely have get together again but bigger things still are canceled. The other is to remind myself that we don't yet know what the situation will be in June. Not in a pollyanna-ish, everything-will-be-fine way, but more to acknowledge that things could be different in two months.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic